The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Soccer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:37 am 

I have heard that the United States has tied England 1-1 after spending about 14 hours kicking a ball around like little girls.

I am thrilled. When I go to bed tonight my pajama bottoms are in for trouble with the excitement.

Post subject: Re: Soccer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:16 pm 

With due respect to yourself and your sleepware, I've always liked soccer, and as an erstwhile [bad] player and a sometime fan, it's San Antonio's best hope for a true professional team besides the basketball Spurs. QP, the World Cup is even better than baseball for beer + easy chair stupor, watching apparently random running and listening to nearly incomprehensible play-by-play--and given the fact that a person can probably log a hundred hours watching in the next week or so, it has a cumulative effect not unlike some of the better psychotropics.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:05 pm 

Great aphorism but, Nah, Dead heats in horseracing; draws in boxing. Baseball too, I think, if called on account of rain after 4--nope, a check of the information superhighway tells me that yes, there are ties in Japanese baseball but not in US baseball except for the 2002 11-inning All-Star game. Even football still during regular season though I haven't seen one in 20 yrs.
Hey, soccer's got blood and broken bones every once in a while, courage and team play and a lot of time played for the sheer joy of reveling in youth and running. It's gotta be a sport.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:04 am 

I believe that it is the most popular sport in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:02 am 

suffolk otb wrote:
I spend quite a bit of time in Europe, and the popularity of soccer over there easily eclipses anything we have. And I hear Latin American is twice as crazy.

But a tie in a sporting event is like sex without an orgasm....

Mr Saratoga wrote:
I believe that it is the most popular sport in the world.

So than sports and marriage are one in the same?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:46 pm 

Vulva-somethings are supposed to be big with the South Africans. They're horns that make noise, annoy everybody, and spread more Afro culture to the rest of the world.

I'm thinking we have have enough Afro culture here in the states with the sirens and alarms in prisons but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:05 pm 

As a youngster and as an adolescent I mostly played baseball and football. As a young man I played U.S. Marine.

I was never taught to play any of these things for a tie.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:13 pm 

My dad loved soccer. I don't share the love but it seems like a good game that anybody can play. It also seems like a better game than baseball or football. People just get together and play soccer. Who just gets together and plays football or baseball? it seems like these games have to be ultra-organized for them to happen, but mostly they are just on TV and not really played by the people.

Baseball is barely a sport; it is a game. This game takes very little athletic conditioning to play; like riding the bus it it consists mostly of sitting down or standing around waiting for your turn. At least soccer is cheap to play and conditions the players into cardiovascular superiority. That foot stuff takes massive coordination. It is 1-5 that a person that played soccer is in better shape than a baseball player. John Kruk or any NFL lineman would have dropped dead if they had to play 90 minutes of soccer.

For my money the best game is handball. This game costs a dollar to play and games break out all over the city every day. it is a shame the game isolated to the outer boroughs of NY. I can just take the train to whatever park and get into a game; maybe even play for $20 against some stranger. It is a blast battling someone in handball and because the game is not on TV it is a pure game and not a vehicle to sell sporting goods. Try walking into a park with a bat or pigskin and get into a random ball game, it aint happening.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:26 pm 

I pay a little attention during world cup, only because one of my best friends is a football nut from England. Now that the USA is in the top 15 in the world, it's more interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:39 pm 

A bunch of us would get together when I was a kid and play ball. We were always running to get up a ballgame in a vacant lot.

If I was just 55 years younger I could sit down on a stoop and twitter twatter with my friends, grow fat, and see wonderful things on a tiny color screen while my body turned to Jello.

Goddammit, I missed being a complete brainless pussy!