The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: I Saw Dr. Shirley Monday Feb 24th - 8 a.m.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:40 pm 

My urine and blood from last week were awarded trophies at the lab. I don't have syphilis, my cholesterol levels are healthy and my blood shows no signs of me having organ failure. The kidneys and liver rang up great scores. My PSA rang up a zero which means that my old prostate gland hasn't gone nuts yet (no pun intended).

On a more serious note my VA primary care physician recommended to me that I have the lower lobe of my left lung removed. I may be cancer-free with the CT scans but the C-Devil may still be within me microscopically and before it erupts again I ought to do the surgery to give me the best shot for a "cure".

I am fortunate that the "new-fangled" immunotherapy has kicked the hell out of my cancer but long-term effects are unknown and I don't want to have an arm vein bayonetted every three weeks for a bag of drip like I have done for almost a year and a half. And all those blood labs in between are tiresome with more jabs into my arm.

My final decision will be made once my VA oncologists see my latest CT scan from February 7th at NYU/Winthrop but it'll be a "go" I'm sure. I am fortunate that at 160 pounds I am in good condition for 72 (5 pounds over my Marine weight out of Parris Island at 18). I can have this procedure done to remain upright and have CT scans done every few months to be monitored.

Hospitalization is two to three days. The lower lobe of my left lung and some lymph nodes can be removed from between the ribs with four small incisions. I'll be home "to resume normal activities" within 72 hours. I'll be sore but it'll be a piece of cake. And I'll have a top surgeon, Dr. Laurence Spier, as my doctor in the OR.

My lung cancer did not spread and for that I am thankful. I am also thankful for the care that I have received as a Marine Corps veteran at no cost to bankrupt the wife and me.

Post subject: Re: I Saw Dr. Shirley Monday Feb 24th - 8 a.m.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:42 am 

:D :D :D :) :) :D