The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: VA Hospital Trip On May 13th - Worries
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:31 pm 

My lung surgery in March was set back to April 20th and that date was sent off into the "32nd of Whenever" due to the pandemic. I understood the deal but now I'm out in medical limbo with a diagnosis of lung cancer. Fortunately for me, CT scans in October and February show me to be cancer free after almost two years of IV immunotherapy. Like many thousands of people in need of surgery in New York our governor the Emperor Andy Boy Cuomo has forbidden it. I was with VA coverage in private cardio/thoracic care.

My VA oncologists wanted me to undergo a CT scan so off I went at 7 a.m. this morning. Out at VA Hospital at Northport I had to tell the armed VA cop at the gate I was there by appointment before being waved through. The parking lot didn't have a lot of cars in it. My wife had given me a great white mask that looks like a bra cup and in I went.

Like a good Marine I reported in at radiology. I had shaved my right arm in the shower because a scan with contrast requires a catheter into an arm vein to inject dye to enhance the images. The tape removal pulls out a lot of arm hairs and stings like hell.

I was called right on time at 8:15 and I have done several CT scans with contrast. I see two nurses - one is on a PC asking me health questions while the other one bayonets an arm vein for the dye drip when I get into the scanner. Before I go in an MD interviews me for a minute or two and I sign on a tablet that I'm OK with what's happening.

Today? I didn't see any nurses. I didn't see a doctor. I didn't get my arm punctured for the contrast IV dye. The entire radiology department was dead beyond me and two other old vets catching X-rays.

I got laid down for the trip back and forth in the little tunnel and got sent on my way. I don't know what to make of this "professional care" but I expect to find out in a day or two.