The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: I Am Back Home
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:12 pm 

I am cured of lung cancer after a 26-month non-stop brawl but the last eight days involved a lobectomy and a collapsing of what remained of my left lung. And then both sets of my intestines failed. Great cardio/thoracic/gastro/intestinal med team work got me back in working order in a hurry. Many thanks to the VA and NYU/Langone/Winthrop Hospital at Mineola, Long Island. And especially to my cardio/thoracic surgeon Dr. Laurence Spier. I was a feisty and nasty old prick of a patient with all the setbacks and this morning instead of making me wait for my wife to pick me up the hospital staff dropped everything and put me out on the street to wait for my ride. They wanted to be rid of me.

I am weak as a new-born kitten and am going to lay up in bed for a day or so to gather some strength for Belmont Day. My wife Colleen has been a savior and a blessing with the cat care and doing all my chores at home. I will presently be embarking on some lung-strengthening exercises that involve smoking three cigarettes and a cigar all at once to some Bee Gees music.

It's good to be home and do not ever stop laughing.

Post subject: Re: I Am Back Home
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:05 pm 

1/4 Pole wrote:
I am cured of lung cancer after a 26-month non-stop brawl but the last eight days involved a lobectomy and a collapsing of what remained of my left lung. And then both sets of my intestines failed. Great cardio/thoracic/gastro/intestinal med team work got me back in working order in a hurry. Many thanks to the VA and NYU/Langone/Winthrop Hospital at Mineola, Long Island. And especially to my cardio/thoracic surgeon Dr. Laurence Spier. I was a feisty and nasty old prick of a patient with all the setbacks and this morning instead of making me wait for my wife to pick me up the hospital staff dropped everything and put me out on the street to wait for my ride. They wanted to be rid of me.

I am weak as a new-born kitten and am going to lay up in bed for a day or so to gather some strength for Belmont Day. My wife Colleen has been a savior and a blessing with the cat care and doing all my chores at home. I will presently be embarking on some lung-strengthening exercises that involve smoking three cigarettes and a cigar all at once to some Bee Gees music.

It's good to be home and do not ever stop laughing.

:D :D :D :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:18 pm 

Glad you haven’t lost your sense of humor.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:08 am 

Jeebs wrote:
Glad you haven’t lost your sense of humor.

But at 149 pounds I do know what I have lost.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:21 am 

One day at a time. You’re a tough SOB. This too shall pass.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:06 am 

Starting at 6 a.m. Friday morning I took on some simple tasks. It took more than 2 hours but I got all the cats fed and the garbage can in. I made toast and cereal and coffee. I sat a lot until my breathing came back. It's like What About Bob? - baby steps.

And I brought in the newspapers from the lawn. That was like hauling 5-gallon cans of water a long way for some Marine buddies. Round trip must have been 60 feet - that's how weak I am at present.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:00 pm 

Hang in there Larry. We all love you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:14 pm 

Samyn wrote:
Hang in there Larry. We all love you.

:D :D :D :mrgreen: