The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: What Cataract Surgery Is Like...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:07 pm 

I only post this because my friend Mr. Saratoga mentioned that he may have to have some medical care done with cataracts. At a certain age slowly blurring vision can come upon you. My clue was driving and not seeing road signs well. And not being able to read license plates from nearby cars.

I was diagnosed with "infantile cataracts" last October but had cancer worries to deal with. My cancer surgery for March was laid off to June via Covid-19 while my eyesight continued to blur very slowly. OK, so I had my chest cut open in June and I sent half my left lung to a landfill. No matter.

For cataract surgery: My ophthalmologist at the VA put me through a great light show on both eyes and she told me I was a candidate for cataract surgery on both eyes. We scheduled the surgery for eye #1 (my right). For pre-op I did an EKG, blood and pee lab, and got looked over to make sure I wouldn't drop dead in the OR.

The surgery itself? Well, they made me wear that hospital gown with my ass exposed. I'm just sorry the front was blocked so I couldn't flash my surgeon. Dr. Francis is a good-looking young woman.

For the surgery I was laid out. I caught some anesthesia via an IV with an EKG attached. Twilight and well-relaxed but I was lucid and able to communicate with the medical team. You can't blink because your eye is clamped open. Your eye gets flushed on a schedule so it doesn't get dry.

The surgeon pokes at your eye and all your brain sees is a nifty light show since your working eye is covered. You hear the medical team converse and you feel no pain, just pressure as your cataract goes away and maybe a new lens is installed.

In under an hour you get up with an eye patch and get to go home with eye drops. You're walking and talking pain free with no discomfort. Next day you take off the eye bandage and see a whole lot better like I did with no complications. The next-day follow up went well with Dr. Francis. She is less than half my age and she did wonders for me.

Cataract surgery? It's no big deal and the outcome is a beautiful thing.

Post subject: Re: What Cataract Surgery Is Like...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:42 pm 

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:40 am 

Glad things went well for you, you deserve a break. I still see pretty well, I'm not sure if I am really ready yet. See what my Dr says next month.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:28 am 

Best wishes, Don. Cataracts don't disappear on their own.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:16 pm 

I found out today at the VA Hospital that my new prescription right-eye lens implant has made my right-eye vision go to 20/20 and that I'm all set for the left-eye surgery on September 23rd. I haven't had 20/20 vision since Eisenhower was in the White House.

And yeah, I had to go bleed and pee for some more lab work today.