The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: July 4th
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:40 pm 

I am proud to be an American and I am happy that I had a bunch of people before me come from Ireland to get here.

My mother's father was named DeVivia and she never met him. He was a Frenchie from Canada but serving in the United States Army in 1918 when she was born. I had no idea until my Mom got her birth certificate in the during the 1970s so that she could grab a passprt. Shortly after being born a bastard in Manhattan in 1918 my mother's Mom hauled ass and she was raised her grandmother Kathleen O'Toole who was born in Ferbane, County Offaly, Ireland in 1878. Granma had dough because her husband Barney O'Toole owned three saloons in New York and died to leave her with the money. She owned properties on W. 57th Street, West 103rd Street, and West 96th Street.

Anyway, I understand that we are the United States from immigrants. My father (1914) told me that I only had one grandfather only because he jumped ship in 1893 and was able to swim to Brooklyn with some money and a willingness to work as a donkey slave just to have the remote opportunity to become an American citizen with no papers. That man, John Patrick Driscoll, sired my grandmother who had 4 sons in WWII.

My pissoff today is that we are overrun by millions of illegals who have no intention of becoming Americans. The money goes south of the border and the jails are jammed with guys that don't speak English and never try to learn it.

My Dad was wounded twice in Italy during WWII and told me about men he served with that spoke Italian, German, Spanish, and Polish as a language "in the house" while growing up but they were Americans who masterd the English language.

German an Italian prisoners could not understand American infantry troops speaking their language better than they could.

My father had a friend that he served with overseas. I forget his last name (Gino was the first) because all these guys are dead amd I'm getting old but he was born in Sicily and his father was an Italian Army officer. During the late 1920s and into the 1930s my father's buddy followed his career-military father over to Naples, Rome, up north to Turin and then three years in Berlin going to school as a good young fascist.

The old man bails out of Italy and his military career in 1937 when he sees what's coming with Hitler and Mussolini. He gets into the U.S. with permission and lands in Jersey City. Everybody is legal.

In Italy as a draftee my father's friend was a "private of riflemen". His English is excellent with the Italian accent but while herding German and Italian prisoners he is heard to speak both languages. When asked if he understands Italian dialects he says he can place an Italian speaker "close to home" as a native for having lived from Sicily to almost the Swiss border while growing up. We needed to know if there were Italian troops being massed from one particular place in 1943.

The Italians were never the big problem in Italy that the Germans were but we had guys that were immigrants that were fantastic Americans with languages. My old man had an ammo carrier from Greenpoint, Brooklyn who spoke Polish, German, and Russian. And English to boot.

Post subject: Re: July 4th
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:48 am 

I found not being bitter about the wrongs in my eyes makes me go on. I don't like what I see, and I VOTE my opinion. :x America the Great :D

Post subject: Re: July 4th
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:01 pm 

This is an excellent time to raise this obvious question:

Why do you suppose that our gov't has chosen, for decades of being led by both parties, to do nothing about this problem?

Republicans have had as much opportunity to solve the problem as Democrats have, yet strangely nothing has ever been done. Odd don't you think? I wonder why that is.