The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Went to the track
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:01 pm 

today, (figured this will be the last time we see sun & turf for the week). Love the fact that the pre race is done up on the third floor now. Get to listen to Little Andy and JB up close and like the fact they have been very approachable after they've done there thing. One of the better ideas that NYRA's come up with. Notice how most good ideas they've come up with lately, (trips & traps, internet usage), involve Andy? Hmmmm, I think they're on to something here. :roll: :lol:

Post subject: Re: Went to the track
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:40 pm 

I met Andy just the one time at Belmont opening day. I tapped him on the shoulder while he was playing the piano on a SAM.

I said, "I'm Quarter Pole." We hugged and shook hands. Big smiles from both of us.

And then it was on to talking about the race coming up. Yes indeed, Andy has opinions fast and furious even off camera.

He was unable to climb into the Board Meeting because of time constraints with the TV deal but I knew then and there that he is a good man and an OK degenerate pony player in a suit.

Solid handshake and no phony while meeting some Board folks near the SAMs.

Sorry I left the digital camera out by the rail with my fellow railrats.

In the early 60s when I was 12 or 13 I met another newsmaking celebrity but this was at Yankee Stadium. On his way down to a front-row box seat behind the vistor's dugout I was able to meet President Hoover. I had yelled out, "Mr. President!" He stopped his entourage to shake my hand and thank me for recognizing him.

Before the game, Bob Sheppard announced that President Hoover was in attendance. The boos were very loud but the former President still stood up to take a bow with a smile. I will never forget that day. He was very old then but knew deep down in his shorts that FDR had started the giveaways that have this country in a big jam now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:45 pm 

Nobody meets a nicer man or sees a better or broader smile than when bigbird914 is at the track.

I just worry about New York City when this police officer is off duty.

I figure the City can't be safe when the Bird is cranking beers and laughter with 1/8 Pole and me at the track.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:06 am 

You would think with a name like bigbird, he would have bet his house on all the Birds running these day. He should have made hundreds of thousands of dollars this year. :lol: