The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Hoppy And Marty
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:07 pm 

I miss Hoppy big time. Marty too. Hops is a pure wonderful human being but he jumped ship because of a certain poster or two. Probably just one.

His brother, John Cassidy, was a wonderful respected writer concerning New York racing but he has been nothing except wonderful with correspondance via the mail and has been unbelievable with his kindness over the years with regard to sharing racing memorabilia.

Marty isn't around much either. That man goes back to New York racing beyond my years on this planet and is a wealth of information about being a railrat at Jamaica, Aqueduct, and Belmont. Marty was an adult on the roof of the old original Belmont stands. Only his faith in his religion and the next day's card kept him from jumping, according to Marty.

I miss those good men dearly but as an old fart conservative Independent I am in trouble when it comes to pulling the trigger on a ban from this Board. I remember being along a Brooklyn pier as a little boy when somebody was ranting on a soapbox about the Joy of Communism in the mid-50s. My Dad and two brothers stopped a skirmish. All three had battle stars from U.S. Army, WWII and thought that the man had a right to speak. They thought the guy was speaking garbage but weren't going to let him get beat down either.

I'm a 1948 guy. I grew up with 'tough' and I grew up with 'liberal give-aways'.

Post here if you have a thought.

Post subject: Re: Hoppy And Marty
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:29 pm 

Both Good Guys in My Book

Problem is that The Bantering Back and Forth is what made Them interesting

Just got to Have some Thick Skin and Not Think Everyone needs to Be Banned just Cause They Disagree with You.

Hope Both are Well and Pop In .

Honestly They Would both be bored to tears , as us , without the differences .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:35 pm 

Hopalong Cassidy goes way back with Saratoga racing and Saratoga connections and New York racing.

I need to grab and hug with that fellow before one of us goes to the veteran's cemetery.

Hops is A-OK despite the Navy ballbuster.

And the Navy is OK. Destroyers, especially. I went on a tour of the tired old U.S.S. Braine (DD630and a WWII vet) in the 1960s at Long Beach, CA. The day I went aboard as a Marine visitor with a squid schoolmate the forward 5-inch crew was practicing to get ammo to their gun.

Dockside and all kids except for gunners/mate first who might have been 22 after 4 years at sea.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:33 am 

I just hope Marty is ok... I do miss them both as well...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:28 am 

Location: The middle of SOMEWHERE or Wisconsin as it's known to the rest of the world
I messaged Marty on Sunday about being missed and he hasn't picked it up :?: Hope he's on vacation somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:23 am 

Miss them as well. But people got to do whats best for them. Not all as thick skinned as others.