The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Swimming
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:11 pm 

The NYC papers and the Long Island newspaper are filled with stories lately about young people drowning at the beach by being stupid and going in when there are no lifeguards around. These are dumb folks in their teens and twenties.

In 1928, at the age of 14, my father swam from Bay Ridge, Brooklyn to Staten Island across The Narrows after studying the tides and going with them. Guys in those days were tougher than the twitterers and twatters and video game pansies that this country now produces in abundance. Jeez, these guys won WWII and then lived without looking for handouts from the government.

In 1953 when I was 5 Pop threw me off a Red Hook, Brooklyn pier and then gave me instructions about "dog paddling" and having no fear. As the years went on we swam together at Long Island beaches.

In the Marine Corps at Parris Island we had to qualify at swimming in a pool with a roof over it in 1965. I couldn't believe all the guys that couldn't swim. For some reason most black Marine recruits sank like a rock. We had to swim 50 meters in utility uniform with a rifle in calm water. For me it was a piece of cake.

Anyway, here's the deal - stay out of the water unless you can handle it. Riptides can get you nasty.