The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Smart Dog Award
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:27 am 

I was channel surfing and came up with a dog that won an award for being "smart" by teaching himself to open the lid of a toilet and propping the lid with a paw while slurping up a long cool drink of water.

My favorite was when Sandy the lady rottweiler stole a turkey carcass out of the garbage and buried it the backyard. Exactly one week later, after Mother Nature had properly "seasoned" the rotting meat, Sandy dug up the body and had a feast. My vet friend informed me that the dog has acids in it's gut that made the rotting turkey safe for her and that her nose would have told her if the thing had rotted beyond what was safe to eat.

Another thing that amazed me about that dog was it's dislike for peas. You could slop a half-gallon of leftover beef stew into her bowl and you'd come back 15 minutes later to find the bowl clean and dry with about 150 green peas laying at the bottom of it. Nobody could ever figure out how she did it but she'd spit them out one by one somehow. The 15 years we had that monster beast were loads of laughs.

Post subject: Re: Smart Dog Award
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:46 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WofFb_eOxxA

Cats are smarter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:53 am 

Cats are only pleasing when they are in the jaws of a rottweiler.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:18 pm 

This beast was Sandy, the dog who chased hundreds of squirrels but never caught a single one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:33 pm 

1/4 Pole wrote:
Cats are only pleasing when they are in the jaws of a rottweiler.

Only kidding, KP. I'm a dog person but go out of my way to be kind to all the stray cats running around. You've even brought cat food to the downstairs saloon to help out a few out back and I remember that well.

One time Sandy chased a terrified kitten in the backyard and cornered it up against the stockade fence. The little kitty wasn't going without a fight and turned and hissed. The 90-pound rotty mix stopped on a dime and just stared at the kitten before turning around and trotting off. The kitten looked at Sandy with scorn and walked away with it's tail up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:27 pm 

That little kitten in your backyard made you melt and you know it.

I have nothing against dogs, but they are just too much work to own. I had one for a few months with an ex and when we broke up, she was adamant she'd get the dog. Didn't get a fight from me. I'd rather have a bunch of kids than a dog. Kids are much easier to manage than a dog.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:16 pm 

On my last trip to Ohio I was petting a cat that was slinking by my leg and purring while I was watching a Browns game. Back and forth it went for about ten minutes. Then the cat bit me and ran off. My co-grandfather of 1/8 Pole's kids out there told me that the cat had been doing that same thing for at least ten years to a lot of people. I had dents in my hand and the skin was not broken but I got nipped.

I will never go out of my way to hurt a cat but I'll be damned if I ever fall in love with one.

Mac was a freak beagle mix we had when I was a youngster and the dog only bonded with my father. The dog was OK with my Mom and my sister and me as 'pack members' but went nuts with love when my father was around. You had to walk him on a 'choker chain' because he always wanted to kill his fellow dogs, people, and any other living thing that he could get his teeth on. One time he saw me get tackled in a sandlot football game while my sister was walking him and went beserk. She couldn't hold the leash and he bit a bunch of people that he thought were attacking me. Nobody sued. It was the 1950s and everybody had been eaten by dogs before.

After my parents sold the house in Hempstead they moved to Woodside, Queens for a rental. I was in the Marines then and home on leave. A fellow down the block had a bitch in heat that looked like Mac and he wanted to mate them. My father told the man that Mac was ten, vicious, and probably a homo dog since he tried to kill the only two female dogs he ever got near. The man asked my father to bring Mac over and give it a try. And so it happened.

Let loose in the backyard the lady dog was wagging her tail and showing interest. Mac had his hackles up, approached her, sniffed her under the tail for a moment, and then went to tear her throat out.

The lady dog got stitches and Mac got walked home (tail between legs) with the old man yelling at him.

Pop to Mom, "It's true, Babs, we own the most vicious faggot dog that ever lived!"

I have a photo of Mac and I will post it when I find it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:09 pm 

I'm with KP.........cats rule, dogs drool...........just my two cents.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:01 pm 

I remember the Marine Corps training cats to lead patrols in the bush with a handler, be guard-cats on a perimeter, and run messages under fire when the radio was knocked out.

I'm thinking Armed Service dogs are out of their league. Jeez, they even made a bad movie once about a dog that went nuts on the attack on a secured island in the Pacific that tore a Jap apart before he could make his suicide attack. A cat would have been a better deal to rub up against the Jap while purring.

I'm OK with cats though. At least they howl at night while humping and bring back fond memories.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:28 pm 

i have both and love them equal... I just am an animal lover -if i could have horses in my yard you know that deal!