The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Poison Scare With The Cats
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:13 pm 

Yes, I've been playing Belmont all day and no I have not mentioned any of this on the 'capping forum.

Around the first race today I heard a racket in the kitchen and figured that Trouble and Shiloh were playing cat games there. I go downstairs. They're playing "cat hockey" with a plastic disc but little Shiloh is swatting and jumping up and down on a small blue cube. I recognize it immediately as the mouse poison my wife had set under the stove years ago. Apparently their toy went under the stove and they put in their paws to get it out. And out came the poison that I did not know was there.

The small block of poison has small holes in it and they could be from either claws or teeth. I called Dr. Wallach and he asked me if any part of the block of poison was missing. I told him, "No." - that it just had small holes in it and I couldn't tell if they were from teeth or claws. He figured little Shiloh was pouncing on it and asked me to look after her all afternoon - that if she was in any kind of distress that I should call back immediately.

Shiloh is OK going into the 9th race and Dr. Wallach just informed me that I will not have a sick or dying cat today.

Damn, kittens are like small children - they can hurt themselves with stuff you don't see.

Post subject: Re: Poison Scare With The Cats
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:53 pm 

Close call; really glad it came out all right. Cats may be trouble and hilarilously standoffish, but kittens will break your heart in a minute they are so darn cute.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:33 pm 

Losing that little girl kitten would have crushed my heart.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:03 pm 

Going into the evening cats become active after sleeping the day away.

Little Shiloh came upstairs, jumped all over the furniture, jumped into my lap for a moment and then raced downstairs in a small white blur.

It was good to see. She packed away a good dinner as well. I ain't never seen nothing like cats do stairs - Jeez, they fly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:26 pm 

Years ago, our kitten lost a toy under the fridge and snagged a nail on something underneath it. I got down there, and managed to unhook the nail while the poor kitten and I were in full panic mode.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:58 pm 

Shiloh is going nuts tonight with play and galloping all over the house after a great dinner.

Home from work my beloved bride told me that the little "blue block" was indeed mouse poison under the stove from years ago.

Earlier today Dr. Wallach told me that cats have good sense about what to eat instinctively. He told me that she'll swat it and knock it around for play but that there was small chance she'd eat anything off of it. And he seriously doubted if she caught anything on her claws that could hurt her.

I had no car today or much cash at home but if Shiloh got sick she was going in a cab to Dr. Wallach and I wouldn't haven't given a fat fiddler's f*&%$ about the cab fare or the vet fee. That little girl is much loved here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:14 pm 

Whew!

You'll not ever have a problem with mice! :mrgreen: with 3 on patrol.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:44 pm 

Wooley, last night I was reading a book and Shiloh jumped on my lap, swatted my hand and book with two front paws and then leaped away in a white blur and raced downstairs maybe hitting 3 stairs out of 12.

Nobody here loves that phony female fluff *&%$ a whole lot - just maybe a little bit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:52 pm 

That picture is so sweet.

Cats are great pets. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:02 am 

Her brother Trouble is almost twice her size and is most happy when they nap together in an entangled pile of snoring fur and meat.

Their mother, Mister Mittens, still calls them with chirps to take a head count and groom them.

Just watching cats interact as a family unit is an amazing thing to see.