The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Weeding The Farm
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:01 pm 

The tomato plants are fine and the zucchini has gone nuts with happiness. The eggplant looks OK but the bell peppers haven't done much with all the rain and the peas are dead are gone, probably drowned or eaten by some kind of critter. Every time I weed the garden I dig up old rusted beer bottle caps that have been popped with a church key. I think I planted those in a stupor years ago in a lame attempt to grow a brewery.

Early May was a bit nasty so the tomato plants didn't go in until the 3rd week of May so I figure they'll be red and ready around the third week of July if we can get some dry heat going. Got some nice looking greenies sprouting now. Last year we had fresh tomatoes for the 4th of July.

Post subject: Re: Weeding The Farm
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:30 pm 

I have the same situation,the peppers arent doing to good and had a couple of them eatin up by rabbitts,Im
getting tired of peeing around the garden,any suggestions besides a fence to keep them out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:22 pm 

4stardave wrote:
I have the same situation,the peppers arent doing to good and had a couple of them eatin up by rabbitts,Im
getting tired of peeing around the garden,any suggestions besides a fence to keep them out.

Dried Blood. Comes in various weight bags at your local Feed and Grain or Home Depot and Lowe's.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:09 pm 

My pepper plants look green and healthy but they also look like I planted them yesterday instead of more than a month ago. I'm thinking the monsoons have stunted them. The best veggies grow for me with sparse watering and days of dry heat. We've had more than 9 inches of rain this month and it ain't over yet. Normal is 3 inches.