The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Wild Turkey's - Chapter 2
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:27 pm 

We live in a simi-rural area here in northeast Connecticut. About 10 years ago the state decided to re-introduce wild turkeys around various areas of CT. Now they're starting to reproduce in large numbers. Its not uncommon to find them wandering to your yard and driveway. Yesterday I came home and found 15 of them grazing (if thats the word) around my horsebarn. They had no fear of me at all and several ventured onto my tarred driveway. My barncat watched them , but wouldn't go near them. It was starting to get dark and 1 by 1 they all flew up into the tree's for the night. They protect themself's from night preditors that way.

Last edited by Jack on Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Wild Turkey's
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:42 pm 

Wild turkeys are good fliers once they get off the ground. Ben Franklin wanted the wild turkey to be the symbol of America instead of the eagle since eagles feed on carrion, wounded creatures, and easy prey.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:45 pm 

I have couple of friends who swore off wild turkey after a night of hard drinking.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:47 pm 

Jack, at least you won't have to go far to get Thanksgiving dinner. I am a fan of turkey 101 myself.

Post subject: Re: Wild Turkey's - Chapter 2
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:12 pm 

Sat. morning's I meet a friend for breakfast. I tell him about the turkey's and he decides to see if they're still around. They weren't so I let out a turkey call, like Gary Cooper in Sgt. York. Well there came call's back from two different directions from my turkey friends. My friend leaves and I go into the barn to clean stalls. I come back out in 5 minutes to grab the wheelbarrow and run into one of the turkey families, I counted a total of 9.

I've decided to buy a "Rosetta Stone" program to learn Turkey Talk. I also brought home a #50 bag of turkey crumbles from the grain store.

Post subject: Re: Wild Turkey's - Chapter 2
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:03 pm 

I am sure Deb was real pleased with the addition of new critters to feed :D I can hear her now swearing,,"as if I don't have enough s...t to do and now I got to take care of d...n turkeys" But we both know she will sneak out there and make sure they are ok, take some pix