The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: An Observation on Political Discourse
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:55 pm 

Bob Dole, Howard Baker, George H. Bush, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Gerald Ford. Here is a small list of folks, mostly R's who served in the war to end all wars and ended up in poitical service. While they campaigned as partisan as they could, they governed as though they understood that they had all faced the real enemy (Hitler) and that their polital opponents were people with whom they disagreed, but they were still Americans and not the eneny.

Fast forward to this generatioh and couple it with the echo chamber created by the internet and you get an us versus them mantality, the fault of which is equally shared. This generation doesnt concile with their opponents, they vilify them and cast them as enemies of what must be right. it's frighteneing and has to stop. How do I know it can stop?

I have friends here..people who I am willing to bet would do whatever they could to help, as I would likewise. QP, 1/8p/OG and likely others are all people I consider friends and maybe even family in spite of the fact that their political opinions are opposite of mine. But you spend time interacting, breaking brad, sharing stories and celebrating accomplishments and you realize that maybe the political stances hold little significance, because they haven't prevented people from actually getting along.

In a small way, this is what is the only hope of changing the vitriol, hostility, the false dischotomy that is being perpetrated by the very people who seek to seperate us so they can both rob us blind. Just something to think about.

Post subject: Re: An Observation on Political Discourse
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:36 am 

TheFlagIsUp wrote:
Bob Dole, Howard Baker, George H. Bush, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Gerald Ford. Here is a small list of folks, mostly R's who served in the war to end all wars and ended up in poitical service. While they campaigned as partisan as they could, they governed as though they understood that they had all faced the real enemy (Hitler) and that their polital opponents were people with whom they disagreed, but they were still Americans and not the eneny.

Fast forward to this generatioh and couple it with the echo chamber created by the internet and you get an us versus them mantality, the fault of which is equally shared. This generation doesnt concile with their opponents, they vilify them and cast them as enemies of what must be right. it's frighteneing and has to stop. How do I know it can stop?

I have friends here..people who I am willing to bet would do whatever they could to help, as I would likewise. QP, 1/8p/OG and likely others are all people I consider friends and maybe even family in spite of the fact that their political opinions are opposite of mine. But you spend time interacting, breaking brad, sharing stories and celebrating accomplishments and you realize that maybe the political stances hold little significance, because they haven't prevented people from actually getting along.

In a small way, this is what is the only hope of changing the vitriol, hostility, the false dischotomy that is being perpetrated by the very people who seek to seperate us so they can both rob us blind. Just something to think about.

Lincoln delivered this famous speech, noted for the phrase "a house divided against itself cannot stand," when accepting the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate from Illinois in June of 1858

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:14 am 

Hey most of the Democrat have Served their Country in Uniform , Jimmy Carter was in the Navy . We Know about Jack Kennedy

The Draft Dodgers in the Last 50 Years Go to Two . Clinton and OBlabber

Lets not Get Of on Correlation of Military Service with Politics . Just Don't work for this VET .

Probably Ought to Write a New Law to Commander in Chief Qualifications . Not Military Service History , No President

Political Discourse isn't Made in the 2000's Been There Since I've been born

The Problem with Oblabber is simple , No Experience other than Hustling for the Corrupt Politicians in Chicago . Go see Who Helped Him buy His House and the Lot Next Door in Chicago . . Oblabber Lacks the Experience , Plain and Simple . No Corruption Based on Military

All Anyone should say to Any Vet is THANKYOU . Too Many Oblabber WannaBees this day Looking At Jobs they are unqualified to do .

If Any of You Get a Chance , Go Watch a Ronald Reagan Speech from 1964 and See How Eerie and How Very Little has Changed in 45 Years Other Than We are Flat Broke in America . here is the Speech http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt1fYSAChxs

Beware If You were a Liberal You May Change if you watch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:54 am 

I served this country proudly from 94-01 in the Army Reserves. Since then I have not seen a hell of alot that has thrilled me. And I am sad to say I hope my son never serves this country. I want him to serve himself and his family thru hard work and the good book. The corupt political machine gets stronger as the people behave more like sheep and less like Americans. Is sad how us as people have let this happen. I hope with these midterm elections we show these scum bags in Washington that we are tired of their BS and we are not going to take it anymore. Then maybe I could reconsider my thoughts with my son. Cause I served, My father served, both grand fathers, and 3 great grand fathers all served their countries.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:11 pm 

My observation has nothing to do with the military service, per se. People who lived through and served this country during WWII had different political opinions and philosophies that their opponents, but they knew that their opponents were not the enemy.

Last 20 years or so, that has not been the case. It's not because of any one group or party. Cable news and the explosion of the internet made it possible to repeat the message over and over into an echo chamber, be it Fox News, MSNBC, or whatever obviously biased pseudo news orgaization you may choose.

The Left pushes their propaganda, the right pushes theirs. But they are all involved in a consipracy to take our focus off of how much they are fuc#ing us and get us to agrue over some irrelevant bullshit. The thing they all fear the worst is that piss poor folks on the right and left will one day start talking and realize their interests are the same, and realize who the enemy trutly is.

Here's a current example. The Tea Party. A group of people who are pissed off and correctly so. The gov't is screwing them and their call to take it back is one I agree with completely. But they are being manipulated into incorrectly identifying the real enemy, or not including all their enemies anyway. Those billionaires who fund both the tea Party and the far left...do you really think they care about you? do you think they aren't expecting something in return?

it's the perfect game of divide and conquer and it works like a charm. But if we get enough people to realize that they have more in common with whom they disagree that with those they elect...the game is up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:12 pm 

Yorker wrote:
Hey most of the Democrat have Served their Country in Uniform , Jimmy Carter was in the Navy . We Know about Jack Kennedy

The Draft Dodgers in the Last 50 Years Go to Two . Clinton and OBlabber

Lets not Get Of on Correlation of Military Service with Politics . Just Don't work for this VET .

Probably Ought to Write a New Law to Commander in Chief Qualifications . Not Military Service History , No President

Political Discourse isn't Made in the 2000's Been There Since I've been born

The Problem with Oblabber is simple , No Experience other than Hustling for the Corrupt Politicians in Chicago . Go see Who Helped Him buy His House and the Lot Next Door in Chicago . . Oblabber Lacks the Experience , Plain and Simple . No Corruption Based on Military

All Anyone should say to Any Vet is THANKYOU . Too Many Oblabber WannaBees this day Looking At Jobs they are unqualified to do .

If Any of You Get a Chance , Go Watch a Ronald Reagan Speech from 1964 and See How Eerie and How Very Little has Changed in 45 Years Other Than We are Flat Broke in America . here is the Speech http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt1fYSAChxs

Beware If You were a Liberal You May Change if you watch

you're missing the point completely

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:15 pm 

1/8-pole wrote:
I served this country proudly from 94-01 in the Army Reserves. Since then I have not seen a hell of alot that has thrilled me. And I am sad to say I hope my son never serves this country. I want him to serve himself and his family thru hard work and the good book. The corupt political machine gets stronger as the people behave more like sheep and less like Americans. Is sad how us as people have let this happen. I hope with these midterm elections we show these scum bags in Washington that we are tired of their BS and we are not going to take it anymore. Then maybe I could reconsider my thoughts with my son. Cause I served, My father served, both grand fathers, and 3 great grand fathers all served their countries.

You're correct about the machine and the sheep. Problem is all of those people going to fix washington are going to get their share of the pie. They are no different than those they are being sent to replace. Why? because they are all going to owe favors to people who are way bigger than you or I. Our interests are never going to be served as long as billionaires and multinational corporations pick our gov't. This "we the people" crap is an illusion, if not a delusion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:00 pm 

Well said, how many "bums" in office were running for office to kick the "bums" out and became the next wave of "bums"..it's sad that the American public still fall for this rhetoric. No one gets elected without owing favors.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:29 pm 

The Greeks had this figured out thousands of years ago. Democracy always leads to tyranny. Where is the Hapsburg dynasty when you need them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:10 pm 

I wasn't going into this one but the major problem now is that too many millions of Americans are dependent upon Big Government for survival.

Just scope the bad neighborhoods of NYC - jammed with minorities, no fathers, murders every day in the news. Why?

It's the same with white trailer trailer trash elsewhere.

The why is handout housing, handout cash, handout medical, handout childcare, handout food stamps, handout prisons for the male breeders and handouts to the illegal aliens that now infest our once-great nation.

Old farts like me get taxed to the max on a shit pension and Social Security to pay for this. My wife is still working and she's taxed to her old ovaries to pay for this. And yet folks like Obummer still want to go another trillion in the hole to keep the bums happy.

I'm stopping here.

You want healthcare? Go break your fuggin ass at a job and pay for it. F+*&k Obamacare.