All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Cablevision/Newscorp settle
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:15 pm 

World Series back on!

Post subject: Re: Cablevision/Newscorp settle
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:42 pm 

:D Hallelujah!!!
The NY Jets forced Cablevision's hand. There is power in Gang Green that is immeasurable.

Just called my cousin in Hicksville (he has Fios) and cancelled my trip out there to see the Jets game on Sunday. And now I can sleep late, too! Yippee!!

Post subject: Re: Cablevision/Newscorp settle
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:39 pm 

Anything that makes the Rocketman happy makes me happy.

Home on leave from an overseas tour I watched the Jets win Supe III with my father on a 12-inch B&W TV with rabbit ears in Woodside, Queens. In 1974 my bride and I brought home a small color TV from Macy's with rabbit ears. The apartment in Flushing was 2 &1/2 rooms with roaches but it had COLOR TELEVISION - a first for the both of us. We laid in bed just thrilled with staring at COLOR on the slightly snowy tube.

Yesterday for the first time I watched a movie in HD. On a landscape scene I thought I was looking out a window. In a closeup scene with people I thought they could be in the room with me.

And then I think back to the "High Tech" of 1971. Saturday - The old man would send me out to grab the GG local out of 65th Street & Broadway (IND) to get out to the 71st/Continental OTB and lay in the wagers for Aqueduct or Belmont. On the "way back" off the train I had to waltz over to the beer docks at 69th Street & Woodside Avenue and bring back a case of Knickerbocker beer ($4.99).

You got the race results over the old man's Crosley radio that had 5 tubes glowing and could pull in stations from Timbuktoo if somebody had the results. WCBS used to broadcast the results as well every half hour over the radio.

My Dad is dead from 1974. If my father knew you could play a horse from home with your fingertips in the future he'd still be brawling the Grim Reaper in hand to hand combat just to see it.