The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Re: Young Family in Destress
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:54 pm 

Mama wrote:
A hundred years ago, seems that way, the neighbors would look out for those in need and give a helping hand, is there a way, you could actually find out her circumstances re: food, etc..and maybe start a drive, including merchants to give assistance...how did you get the call to fix the window.

Still that way in close knit communities. Every where else everyone wants a hand out or wants to rat someone out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:36 pm 

Communities almost seem to be a thing of the past. Not sure if its good or bad.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:45 pm 

When I was young, it did take a community to raise a child because somebody was always watching other people's kids,,now we just shake our heads and say nothing. Not wanting the child or parent tell you to mind your own business..or get cursed by either..so sad.. what happened to manners and respect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:11 pm 

When I was a boy in the 1950s mothers were tigresses watching over YOU and the kids you were with.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:26 pm 

Mama wrote:
A hundred years ago, seems that way, the neighbors would look out for those in need and give a helping hand, is there a way, you could actually find out her circumstances re: food, etc..and maybe start a drive, including merchants to give assistance...how did you get the call to fix the window.

Barbara, I know nothing about the family. The mother called our shop twice, once to get an estimate on the repair, $125. Then again the next day to approve the estimate and my stopping by to measure, which took place Saturday. With freezing weather about to happen I decided to fix the window Sunday. BTW temp at my house Mon. AM was 22 degrees.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:54 pm 

I wouldn't know what to say to "Joy" about her situation. I only spoke to her directly once and she had to wrap her arms around her "autistic" son to calm him down. She looked about 25-26 years old and about 95 lbs. I don't know who her mother is or where she lives.

Thanks to all trying to help and for giving advice. Guess its easy to ignore what is happening and look the other way. This old dillapidated farmhouse sits about 1000 ft between "nice" houses. If it was visible from one of the new houses, maybe one of the neighbors would help, but its not.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:52 am 

Jack wrote:
I wouldn't know what to say to "Joy" about her situation. I only spoke to her directly once and she had to wrap her arms around her "autistic" son to calm him down. She looked about 25-26 years old and about 95 lbs. I don't know who her mother is or where she lives.

Thanks to all trying to help and for giving advice. Guess its easy to ignore what is happening and look the other way. This old dillapidated farmhouse sits about 1000 ft between "nice" houses. If it was visible from one of the new houses, maybe one of the neighbors would help, but its not.

Jack another way to handle this would be to call the public school you would assume the kids attend. They would have no choice but to investigate. For all you know there may already be an investigation by CPS..regardless the school is bound to follow through. A messy house is not a crime and by the mom having the window fixed she realizes at least some parental responsibility. Autism is a scary condition when there is no Dad in the house. These children need lots of attention and care. She may be overwhlemed and a call might be a great first step towards helping the entire family.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:39 pm 

lukeydog wrote:
Jack wrote:

Jack another way to handle this would be to call the public school you would assume the kids attend. They would have no choice but to investigate. For all you know there may already be an investigation by CPS..regardless the school is bound to follow through. A messy house is not a crime and by the mom having the window fixed she realizes at least some parental responsibility. Autism is a scary condition when there is no Dad in the house. These children need lots of attention and care. She may be overwhlemed and a call might be a great first step towards helping the entire family.

Lukey, three children are young, probably pre-school. The autistic boy is about 7 or 8 and must go to a special school, if he goes to school. Your right, a messy house is not a crime, but if you could have seen those two filthy mattress' no sheets, no covers laying on the floor. I wouldn't want to sit on them, let alone sleep on them.

I occasionally do work for "Community Services" which does counseling and mental health related placements. They own apts. and group homes for women and children. They're state funded, but they're a private organization. I know "Mary" who works there and is familiar with things like this. I think I'll stop by and talk to her about this family. I'll keep the board informed about what happens.

Thanks........Jack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:49 pm 

Jack's heart weighs about two tons.

I break his horns as a horse owner now and again but Spendo is probably the greatest guy you could ever meet.

Jeez, I worry more about people than cats but the felines were a whole lot easier to take in.

John, you're an ace. - Q/P