SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Re: Goodbye Nancy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:04 pm 

suffolk otb wrote:
Good riddance Pelosi!

Wow---two years ago the Dems were on top of the world. In 22 months they lost the House, and may only keep control of the Senate since there were a limited number of seats up for reelection. Only the Dems could screw up that quickly and massively. Two years from now no more Obama, the Senate will be controlled by the good guys, and our future will be restored.

It is a good night.

Corporations and uber wealthy will continue to do as well as they have been for the past 30 years, and mostly everone else will be cheated. Good reason to celebrate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:14 pm 

TheFlagIsUp wrote:
suffolk otb wrote:
Good riddance Pelosi!

Wow---two years ago the Dems were on top of the world. In 22 months they lost the House, and may only keep control of the Senate since there were a limited number of seats up for reelection. Only the Dems could screw up that quickly and massively. Two years from now no more Obama, the Senate will be controlled by the good guys, and our future will be restored.It is a good night.

Corporations and uber wealthy will continue to do as well as they have been for the past 30 years, and mostly everone else will be cheated. Good reason to celebrate

To the point.
Ditto.

[b]our future will be restored.[/b

Magical thinking like that comment is exactly why we are where we are as a country.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:33 pm 

WOOT WOOT!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:16 am 

Lest us not forget that a supermajority of our ever-dysfunctional New York Legislature - despite the State Senate theatrics of '09 and the budget gridlock of '10 - have been re-elected to screw things up even more for the next two years.

I voted against both Senate and Assembly incumbents in my district -- naturally, both choices were crushed in landslides, the status quo once again reigning supreme.

At least I can go to bed with a clear conscience, as I did not give my representatives Carte Blanche to f**k things up even more. When things turn ugly next year, I'll turn a deaf ear to the people who voted back the crooks, yet bitch about Albany politics.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:25 am 

New York voters are complete imbeciles. There is no real analysis, no hard look at the issues or any close looks at the candidates character. This is the legacy of residing in the state where Madison ave was born. Madison ave controls the results. The candidate with the most money which de facto means the most TV commercials is the winner time after time. The media completely manipulates the public opinion with ad hominem attacks that completely control the public perception. Now we are stuck with Cuomo as governor. This is the the man that was the head of a federal agency (HUD) that pushed the mortgage reform that resulted in a trillion dollar bailout. A trillion dollar f*ck up and he is rewarded with the Governor's mansion without a peep of discussion.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:06 am 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending pelosi, Reid or Obama....frankly they are all corporate shills. The people who rode the wave into power last night are going to get their marching orders from people you don't know and do not share the interests of ordinary people. I'll take the liberty of assuming no one here is in the wealthy class, so it's difficult to understand what is being celebrated. Of course if you're making 500K or something like that, then I guess you should be celebrating.

Pay attention January 3rd and after and take a close look at the legislation that is going to be forwarded by the next Congress. It will all be designed to continue to concentrate wealth and power where it has been concentrating for the past 30 years. In short, it's just a new group of people carrying the water for the true "Elite"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:14 am 

I'm in the wealthy class - we got 200 nickel empties downstairs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:28 am 

1/4 Pole wrote:
I'm in the wealthy class - we got 200 nickel empties downstairs.

you and me both :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:07 am 

Quote:
The number is $250K and that is for an entire family. For a family in NYC area, that is NOT a lot of money. We are all celebrating.

At that income number families do not qualify for college financial aid, do not get the child tax break credits, pay double for our health insurance than others---etc etc etc. We get all of this for our hard work and "success"---years of putting myself through school, being the first one in my family with a college degree AND a master degree--while many others took the easy way out, screw around with their lives, or both.

The country pisses on achievement and hard work----why push yourself to get to the next level when the government is going to get more than of it anyway (add up income tax, sales tax, social security tax, real estate tax, etc etc)? yeah, it feels great to fund the sins and mistakes of others.

It is so easy for people to blame corporate this or wealthy that. Excuses excuses excuses. Stand up and be accountable---get your heads out of your asses and become a productive member of society.

let me apologize if it appeared I was directing the income thing at you directly, I was not. So please accept my apologies for that.

I agree 100% with your position on hard work being punished. Like you, I was the first to go to college, worked hard to get a masters degree, had to borrow money to do it and have landed in a spot where now my own child doesnt get any help for school because we make too much. we do OK for where we live and while we make the bills and are able to invest for retirement, it's still a struggle.

The problem you describe does of course exist, but it pales in comparison to the corporate welfare state that gets the lions share of the money the gov't takes from you and I, and finances the elections of both Democrats and Republicans who will carry out their wishes.

I know it probably seems liek the people coming into power have your interests at heart, but lets see if a year from now they have actually proposed or accomplished anything that makes them wothy of your praise. Nothing would please me more than to be proven wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:16 am 

You're right... Voters in NYS are the problem. The majority have "Abused Housewife Syndrome" -- the politicians keep beating the masses, but they never learn because "they'll never do it again."

Samyn wrote:
New York voters are complete imbeciles. There is no real analysis, no hard look at the issues or any close looks at the candidates character. This is the legacy of residing in the state where Madison ave was born. Madison ave controls the results. The candidate with the most money which de facto means the most TV commercials is the winner time after time. The media completely manipulates the public opinion with ad hominem attacks that completely control the public perception. Now we are stuck with Cuomo as governor. This is the the man that was the head of a federal agency (HUD) that pushed the mortgage reform that resulted in a trillion dollar bailout. A trillion dollar f*ck up and he is rewarded with the Governor's mansion without a peep of discussion.