The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Indian Cents
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:54 am 

They were made from 1859 until 1909. They were not the first "small cents" ( the Flyng Eagle cent was) and early on they were made of bronze.

All of my books told me that the 1859 cents were minted in Philadelphia and that there were no known "die varieties" or recut dies known to exist.

I had an 1859 one-cent piece in extremely fine condition (XF) that showed retooling around the date. I sent away letters and photos and my thoughts to every coin authority that was in existence at that time. I finally mailed off the coin to Walter Breen and had him go by Bowers & Medina. They certified that the Philadelphia mint in 1859 recut a die sometime during 1859 - a new variety of that cent had been found! By me!!

I still didn't get laid but I got my one-cent coin back.

Post subject: Re: Indian Cents
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:49 am 

1908 was the last year of production of the Indian head cents

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:17 pm 

Indians/Lincolns both appeared in 1909.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:40 pm 

1/4 Pole wrote:
They were made from 1859 until 1909. They were not the first "small cents" ( the Flyng Eagle cent was) and early on they were made of bronze.

All of my books told me that the 1859 cents were minted in Philadelphia and that there were no known "die varieties" or recut dies known to exist.

I had an 1859 one-cent piece in extremely fine condition (XF) that showed retooling around the date. I sent away letters and photos and my thoughts to every coin authority that was in existence at that time. I finally mailed off the coin to Walter Breen and had him go by Bowers & Medina. They certified that the Philadelphia mint in 1859 recut a die sometime during 1859 - a new variety of that cent had been found! By me!!

so a coin geek too? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:36 pm 

So what is it worth Pops. Can it get me to Wyoming to continue my breeding from state to state? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:16 pm 

TheFlagIsUp wrote:
1/4 Pole wrote:

so a coin geek too? :lol:

Out of the game for a while, but yes, I do have an extensive collection of miscellaneous coins. My grandmother loved to feed the hobby. She was a jewelry buff and since I was a boy, I'd only go with her to the jewelry store if she let me look at the coins. She bought way more than she ever had to for me. My collection sits in two lock boxes in the closet, but I'll always hold on to it remembering her. I can't imagine it's worth much, there are some expensive pieces in there, but the sentimental value is priceless.