The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: The Mets Are Pissing Me Off
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:21 pm 

I don't speak Spanish so I can't talk to a lot af Met ballpayers anymore now but as a little boy who lived at 844 Flatbush Avenue in a 3-floor walkup a long time ago I got to Ebbets Field with my father. Monster seats were $2.50 reserved along the lines just behind the $3.50 box seats. You were IN THE GAME and up close. I went to a World Serious game in 1953 and watched Brooklyn win it. Those were $7.50 seats and I had no idea that anybody could have that much money to watch a baseball game.

In 1962 as a teen I used to hump and haul with the Bee Line bus out of Hempstead to snag the E train in Jamaica to the 7th Avenue stop to grab the D train up to the Polo Grounds. A bag of sandwiches and $1.25 and a can of soda wrapped in aluminum (wrapped by your mother) got you general admission and sometimes a doubleheader on a weekend or holiday.

My old man would never take me to Polo Grounds when the NY Giants played baseball there. He hated the Yankees, the Giants, and the German that hit him with 4 rounds in Italy, in that order.

Post subject: Re: The Mets Are Pissing Me Off
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:32 am 

I screwed up by studying French in school for 6 years.

Spanish and not running out a ground ball would have done me better.

Or maybe the one-hand catch for a drop. I'm not sure.

Post subject: Re: The Mets Are Pissing Me Off
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:30 am 

speaking fluent spanish would have landed you a spot on the worst team money could buy...Minaya needs to be shown the door he has single handidly turned the Mets into the Expos..Wright a leader?? How???? He would need a translator to even communicate with this morose bunch of crybabies..I have season tix and will not attend a game without becoming violently ill..Rather go to my kids LL games where the kids actually follow their coaches advice and execute on sound fundamentals..They are 10.