The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Hitchhiking
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:29 pm 

I did it as a young man both in and out of uniform. I caught a ride in civvies from a WWII veteran out of D.C. on the interstate who was on his way to Florida from Massachusetts. This man told me that he had picked me up because he knew I was a G.I. by my youth and haircut. He stopped on the way to North Carolina buy us a meal and went out of his way to get me back to 6th Marines at Camp LeJeune. I had money but it was no good.

Another time I was 18 and woke up with no clothes on (except for socks) in a dry stream bed underneath a highway overpass in Sneads Ferry, North Carolina (Rte. 17). I was uninjured and was amazed to find my clothes and wallet and money all around me. I went to hitch back to base and a farmer (WWII vet) picked me up and took me back onto base and back to my barracks. He told me to never again drink stuff out of a mayonnnaise jar that looks like water in North Carolina. He thought Yankees would be a tad smarter. To this day I have no idea how I got to Sneads Ferry although I do remember it was a payday Friday night (April 15th, 1966) and I started out the night in Jacksonville with all my pay for half a month ($40 plus a few singles). The "mayonnaise" cost $3.

How about some more hitch stories from times gone by? I wouldn't do it anymore but at one time and beyond Americans helped each other out. I have picked up hitchhikers but I wouldn't do it now I don't think. At one time it was a good way to get somewhere.