The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: I have been robbed... take a guess
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:49 am 

person who is closest to the price gets a beer on me at belmont at the next board meeting....Ok here it goes. I finally hit a big one so i thought. Question is (and it was this past few days that this has happened) ok- how much does and exacta pay with a 7-1 over 24-1 pay? Good luck I am pissed thats the only clue here.

Post subject: Re: I have been robbed... take a guess
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:15 am 

No way of telling. The exacta pool has nothing to do with the win pool.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:47 am 

if you hit it - dont even think about the pool figures, what do you think it shoukd have paid? this was at a track with alot of money in its pools, trust me. Take a stab at it, imagine you are in your bar downstairs and you have a ggorse win at 7-1 and then a 24-1 shoy holds for second and you are out of your mind full of excitement thinking oh boy what a great hit- i am rich-lol and everyone around you saying wow its gonna pay huge and then the prices land on the tote and favorite out of the money....The tri was huge and i had all 3 horses on my ticket but i didnt hit the triple box on the screen i always go for exactas because i figure its hard to hit 2 (in a big field) let alone 3. Just imagine this being you, what would you expect it to pay? just take a stab at a number with knowing there was a very big pool- it wasnt yonkers-lol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:55 am 

I'd be looking for $200+ and a lot more if it was a 12-horse field. Yes, size does matter. A 7-horse field has only 42 zacta slots and they get jammed up, with 12 ponies it's 132.

Last week I got a 66/1 under and didn't even get close to $200 with the fave on top in a typical NYRA short field.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:29 am 

You would think this would pay over 200.00, but if the exacta pool doesn't have any cash in it you could expect 60.00. That's why i don't play at the Trotters in Saratoga. I hit a tri there and it payed 32.00. No horse was under 6-1.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:08 am 

I was at Yonkers in 1970 when the $20 winner over the $19.60 place horse came back $43 for the excata and the fans set the grandstand on fire and were going to make a rush to the barns to burn them down with all the horses inside. Every PD in Westchester was called and the NYPD sent reinforcements out of their jurisdiction to contain the riot. The race was fixed and a guy was arrested at a Yonkers Hotel with a bag of cold $2 winning exacta tickets. He was a buddy of Herve Filion which was no surprise since Herve stiffed the zip to 5 fave in that race.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:24 am 

Generally when the Fix was in at the trots , Guido had a Boy lay the Bets in the Exacta or Trifecta pools . Straight win betting was to Obvious as Everyone Saw the Fix and it killed the Odds . I would Sit Close to the $100 Window to See What Bet the Crooks Placed . That was Until they Noticed Me and Said they Would Take My face Off if I didn't Get Lost.

Exactas and Tris where Nonsensical as a Result . No guess as to the Payoff .

Sounds like You Caught a Quido play Shammy .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:19 pm 

Based on what you thought it should pay, I'm going to say it paid about $75. Depending on the pool size, I would guesstimate a hit with those win odds would pay between $180-275 in that range.

Remember, the money bet to win influences the win odds, which ultimately affect the win payouts. The money bet on the possible exacta combos also affects the actual odds for th exacta wager, and thus the payouts.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:58 pm 

I would be looking for $150-250. Because of your question, I'd say you received about $40-50.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:33 pm 

no it was over 200 but not by much, everyone in OTB said i got beat and it should have paid much more. I feel better now. The race was at the meadowlands.