The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Saturday 11/25 Was Cat Flap Day
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:36 pm 

Sunshine, no wind and temps in the 50s. Today was the day to be outside to take a door down and be working a jigsaw and fumbling around with other power tools. And things worked out.

That door had been propped open for two years so I had to make adjustments to the frame to get it to close and lock properly. And since the feral cats have never seen a cat flap I tied it open from the inside until they get used to using it.

Post subject: Re: Saturday 11/25 Was Cat Flap Day
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:43 pm 

And I popped open all three of the roofs on the cat beds. The cats have been flattening them down to customize their beds. But whatever they do is OK by me. They'll have good shelter for the winter with no door propped open to allow snow and leaves to blow in.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:17 pm 

°Nice job!- :| good you are "handy" The FF have warm winter. Post a pic if you can catch a cat using their new door :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:00 pm 

Early Sunday morning when I brought food out for the feral cats I went into the garage and saw that two of three cat beds had their roofs flattened again so some cats have taken to the cat door. I made pancakes and a side of ham for me and while having a second cup of coffee I saw Catty Patty and Tuxedo use the cat door to get inside the garage. Bristol and her best-buddy brother Bosco went through the plastic curtain of the new cat condo for a full-belly post-breakfast flop.

The bride mentioned that all these cats were trapped for neutering in the spring and might see that cat door as another trap. She's a bright girl and I thought that was an excellent point to make. Once they fully understand that the cat door is not another TNR trap I'll allow the flap to be in place and then everybody's going to be happy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:32 am 

:mrgreen: ..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:37 am 

All three roofs were flattened on Monday morning so I know that a bunch of cats are going in and out. When the flap gets let down I figure to bring some breakfast platters out back and gather some hungry cats around me on the deck. Then I'll just slip the platters through the flap and stand back. I figure a cat or two will go through the flap and the rest will follow.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:35 am 

:D Cats will be healthy and warm this winter! Bravo!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:47 am 

Yesterday (12/12) I rolled up the main garage door to finish assembling the new snow blower and several startled cats leaped from their beds and went through the cat door like rockets. All except one - Tuxedo.

Tuxedo stayed in his bed when he saw me, yawned and went back to sleep as I did my work. That black cat is a sweet mellow guy. And he knows me from the day he was born. He had a full belly from breakfast, a warm bed and recognized me as a "zero threat" and dear friend. I love that guy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:26 am 

:roll: :) Smart cat Tuxedo!

The FF share share close-up genes, all born and lived in same spaces since birth, see same person every day and reacted so differently to your surprise visit :geek: Likely startled by your entry and had the "flight reaction...out the cat door!!! Guess they know how the cat door works now! :lol: Cats were startled by you and the noise :mrgreen: Next time, give the cats a :roll: "polite rattle" to warn them! It is "their world" ...and you scared them. Probably thought...back to TNR :shock: