The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: 9 Lives Cat Food - Need Some Help
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:51 pm 

I laid out some 9 Lives today for lunch. The momcat Mister Mittens ate a tiny bit and walked off in disgust. The tomcat Trouble sniffed at it and walked away while making male noises with his tail straight up in the air. Little Shiloh sniffed and backed away and began working the kitchen floor like a pissed-off bull scraping the ground with a hoof.

I'll never buy it again but have any other cat folks had problems with this food? I mean it costs money and it's not like government cheese or food stamps on an EBT card for bums and slackers and girls that breed in handout housing. The cats here wouldn't eat it. They waltzed away from it:

Post subject: Re: 9 Lives Cat Food - Need Some Help
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:26 pm 

You have to buy them what they like, don't try new stuff as they can smell it a mile away. The cost doesn't matter, they like what they like! Our cat is on a special low mineral food from the vet because he had urinary tract blockage. I gave him some gourmet food as a treat, and he wouldn't eat a morsel of it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:06 am 

Cats are strange creatures, BL and I wish your feline the best of health.

The runt girl cat Shiloh at my house (aka Sweet Babycakes) has been given a gift from Mom Nature - insane speed.

That little girl cat has no size and no camouflage with her mostly-white body and she probably would not have lasted long in the wild but she has been given incredible speed by her genes and Mom Nature to compensate.

Before I tagged Shiloh "Sweet Babycakes" as a nickname she was known as "The White Blur" for the way she went up and down stairs - you couldn't follow that gal with your eyes, the little girl is that fast.

Shiloh would be doing a tough turn in the street now if she had gotten by being a kitten and I don't think that would have ever happened - she was doomed by her small size and mostly-white markings. She probably would not have gotten enough milk if Mister Mittens was not brought into my house.

But maybe not.

Once inside the house the three male cats were on Mister Mittens for milk like maniacs. The runt girl cat kept fighting for a nipple but she was not doing well amongst the three larger males.

What did Mister Mittens do? She fed her sons until they had enough milk and went to sleep. And then?

She would grab her runt daughter by the scruff and waltz off to a corner. Mister Mittens would then lie down and pull her tiny daughter into her belly for milk as a solo nurser while licking her all over.

Moms are strange creatures.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:12 pm 

You can't make radical changes to a cat's diet or they will automatically reject it.

When changing food, you should mix some of the old stuff with the new stuff and gradually eliminate the old and go with the new. They should transition fine.

I don't put out wet food daily for my felines anymore, but when I did, I used solely 9 Lives and never had a problem. However, all I would feed them was the flaked tuna, tuna with egg, or chicken and tuna dinner. I found they didn't like supper supper and chicken or beef bits wound up being thrown up all over the house. The real tuna is good stuff, I give it now as treat meals every now and then and my guys gobble it up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:04 pm 

No matter where it comes from the cats here do not like cat food with beef in it - they go for poultry and fish.