The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: We Have A New Feline Neighbor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:00 pm 

The temps were going to the 50s today and a feral cat was laid out and sunning itself on the deck this morning. When I opened the bathroom window to take this shot the cat got to it's feet and arched it's back a bit while staring at me before running off behind the garage and no doubt leaping the fence. My yard is enclosed with a 6-foot fence and I think the cat is bedding down under the deck in the dugout that a 'possum made two years ago. There's an older tom running around with one white leg and I think that beast is the father of this one and at least Trouble and the adopted Mischief. I think Mister Mittens might have been inpregnated by two different toms. Sweet Babycakes and Chaos are mostly white but that's just a guess.

No, I cannot take the cat in or feed it or make sweet noises to it while trying to make "friends". I snagged and saved three, all of which I dearly love, but I am out of the cat business.

Post subject: Re: We Have A New Feline Neighbor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:49 pm 

This is one of the three reasons I can't become involved with another feral cat. This is Shiloh, born in the dirt out front as a runt that had a lot of trouble getting to a nipple while competing against three much larger brothers with a small mother. Her mother always took her aside when the males crashed and hugged and pulled her into some milk. She likes to lay out in my recliner up in the man cave for afternoon sleeps while I am at my desk losing my lungs at Aqueduct. Her aliases are "Sweet Babycakes", "Little Head", and "Scooter" for the insane speed she uses to get up and down stairs.

I just can't do anymore with the "cat rescue" deal. It cost two grand to have top-notch vet care done on three feral cats with the de-worming, the shots, and the spaying & neutering. And they don't eat on the cheap. And cat litter isn't cheap. And little Sweet Babycakes was just 6 months of age and only weighed a few pounds when spayed and cost half a grand with a surgeon, an anesthiologist DVM and a nurse. That little girl would have been dead in the street in no time if my wife and I did not go all out to give her a shot for a good life.

But there's a limit and I think I'm at the pussy precipice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:24 pm 

Well... if gets really cold...you could put some dry food in the back of the fence...no harm there...
The poor stray looks like a "cross" between Trouble and Shiloh...Trouble on top and Shiloh underneath

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:46 pm 

Or I could hunt the cats with my 22 long rifle. Quick and easy