The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Saturday Morning Heartbreak
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:37 pm 

While out on an errand this morning I saw this young cat dead less than a block from my home, hit by a car.

I felt like shit and so did my wife when she saw what happened but I have three street cats adopted and healthy and well fed with warm beds and tons of love. I can't save them all and understand that Nature takes her course with who's brainy enough to adapt (yes, even to automobile traffic). I know that the cat was related to mine and has a mostly-white small sibling with a black blotch on his/her back (we call that one Shiloh Junior) and I will try to get that one off the street but I am already jammed up with felines.

Post subject: Re: Saturday Morning Heartbreak
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:26 pm 

1/4 Pole wrote:
While out on an errand this morning I saw this young cat dead less than a block from my home, hit by a car.

I felt like shit and so did my wife when she saw what happened but I have three street cats adopted and healthy and well fed with warm beds and tons of love. I can't save them all and understand that Nature takes her course with who's brainy enough to adapt (yes, even to automobile traffic). I know that the cat was related to mine and has a mostly-white small sibling with a black blotch on his/her back (we call that one Shiloh Junior) and I will try to get that one off the street but I am already jammed up with felines.

ah...poor thing. The deceased cat looks forlorn in that pic...almost had a premonition... can't save them all.

Post subject: Re: Saturday Morning Heartbreak
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:15 pm 

Wooley, my wife and I have three young fixed cats living at my house after being "dog people" for a long time. We're in this shack for 34 years come March. We had Susan the border collie for 19 years and 10 months. The big spayed galoot Rotty named Sandy we had until she failed at 15. Jeez, we loved those dogs.

When the cats came into the house it was only because I had them out in the garage in July of 2010 after the kittens were born next to my front stoop. It was 103 degrees out and I thought I needed to get Mom into a place she could defend with 4 helpless kittens. The problem was that the garage was going to 110+ during the day and I did not want cooked new-born kittens on my list with Saint Peter when I leave this world. I got them inside for some air conditioning.

I borrowed books from the library and went all over the internet about caring for cats. Two kittens got adopted and we kept the biggest and the smallest - Trouble and Shiloh. And we kept Mom. And then all three went for stuff better than Obamacare with Dr. Wallach. The three cats (Mister Mittens, Trouble and Shiloh) cost $2,000.00 to be de-wormed, have multiple tests done upon their blood and be neutered. It cost almost half a grand to have the runt girl Shiloh be spayed because of her small size but my wife was OK with having a surgeon, a DVM anesthesiologist and a surgical nurse be in attendance for the barely 6-pound white fluff ball back then. As you can readily see, the wife hates cats and now that the cats are adults she takes great joy in hitting them with sticks and bats.

On a serious note the wife goes to her bed now and most nights there is a cat or two that's in there before she arrives. She rearranges the covers and goes gentle to have the cat or cats slide over. The tomcat Trouble is very noisy and might let out a warble or a moan or some kind of cat noise but the wife will hug him and pet him and tell him, "You're the only guy I want to sleep with tonight." The tom mews with joy and snuggles up against her for sleep.

Hey, I heard stuff like that when she was a married woman at 18 almost four decades ago!