The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Tomcat Deal
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:33 pm 

Trouble has never been anything but a house cat except for being born in the street and being brought into shelter (garage and then into my home). He is large. He is gentle with the humans he owns. His gonads are gone but he's still a territorial cat. His claws are enormous when he pops them out. He loves his little sister and mother but often wants to be by himself despite the photos I post.

Feed the feral cats out back? This tom is waiting for them at dawn when Shiloh Junior or Long Fur or White Leg comes up the driveway. Trouble is parked at the downstairs saloon window flush with the driveway and goes nuts. The cat bolts upstairs and leaps over the kitchen sink to get to the window or jumps upon the table to glare out to the deck - he warbles and makes strange cat noises and you just understand as a human that the huge neutered male cat still has places in his brain that does not like to see strange cats near his home (territory).

The big cat Trouble is a wonderful fellow and there is no doubt in my addled mind that he would have gone well in the street for a while with his size and fangs and claws unless disease and climate had killed him as a kitten. He'd be fighting and nailing females while all full of fleas and worms and disease with parts of his face and ears torn off now.

Now at the age of two as a full-grown male tom the cat cries out with joy and does the "flop drop" with his eyes closed when his humans walk by him if you screw up and pet him. He expects belly rubs and back rubs and head rubs and neck rubs and chest rubs - he'll stretch out with all of his huge claws extended but no human hand will get scratched or torn apart while he's warbling with joy with his eyes closed. When he's sleeping alone during the day in my recliner while I'm playing a pony I can walk by him on my way to a pee and run my hand down his flank. He knows it's me from his ears into the part of his brain that is still awake but he'll shoot out his front claws for an instant while twitching a tad before moaning and going back to sleep. His eyes will never have opened.