The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: It's True, It's Impossible To Tame A Feral Momcat, Wooley
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:50 pm 

The wonderful people at cattrappers.org and Last Chance Rescue have helped me trap every feral cat that lives nearby - those that live here and those that just show up for a meal. Even the gonads of the huge street tom Sad Face went off to a landfill. And the few kittens that were born here and survived this spring got taken away too.

The experts say that kittens born feral have a small window of time to be "socialized" and learn to be OK with human contact. I have learned that a feisty orange kitten taken out of here was adopted by an 8-year-old girl and her young parents for a "forever home" while the other three are in a "no-kill" situation and up for adoption. Yeah, cash was donated to keep the kitties out of the "government animal shelter" but that was no big deal.

The big deal was my screwup in July of 2010. No doubt about it - the young and new mother street cat Mister Mittens was too old to be socialized with human caretakers. Her brain had gone over the tipping point and was zeroed-in to be a wild animal for as long as she could live. She was a garbage-eating street cat and a bird hunter.

I took this photo today. This cat is not altogether happy in a house after 7 years and 3 days. She was beyond the "window in time" to be socialized according to the experts. The warm sun on her body and the fan blowing on her on a warm July day while laid up in a comfy cat nest with a full belly is going to set her off into insane viciousness. I just know it.

Post subject: Re: It's True, It's Impossible To Tame A Feral Momcat, Woole
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:26 pm 

Jeez, we love the momcat Mister Mittens.

Last night I went to bed safe, sane and sober just before 11 p.m.while Mister Mittens was laid out flat in my recliner sound asleep.

I popped off the light and in just my drawers got underneath a nice comforter. Not five minutes later some kind of creature flopped next to me and rammed her rump into my left hip in the dark. And yeah, I rubbed the ears, skull and shoulders of the momcat until she purred herself back to sleep.

At 5:12 this morning at the crack of dawn a female cat was sitting in my bed just to the left of my old head. Between gentle head butts she was breathing in my face up close. Her left front paw (claws in) was working my chin.

For sure this was a message that the feral momcat wanted to be out on the street again. I got up and went downstairs to open the front door for her. She was sitting calmly in the kitchen next to her feed dish.

Post subject: Re: It's True, It's Impossible To Tame A Feral Momcat, Woole
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:54 am 

Well...you should be "use to" this routine after 5 years and can look forward to a continuation for the next 10 yrs :mrgreen: