The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: The Winter Cat Beds, Wooley
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:05 pm 

The wife hates cats and only kisses and brushes the three house cats here twice a day. She's been known to sleep on her side with an arm around a huge snoring tomcat but that's not an every day thing. But she likes the feral cats outside a little bit. I dragged in a huge box off the front stoop earlier today. It was a delivery addressed to Mary and I know who she is since she was 16.

There is an expensive cat condo coming but what arrived today was a bunch of cat beds that are going out to the garage next week once we clean out and rearrange the place. The cold "arctic orgasm" will be out of here after the weekend and temps are going back to the 50s.

It can get cold in the garage during the winter but beds like this should keep some feral cats in good shape out of snow and wind and sleet. And yeah, great food will be laid out every day just like always.

Post subject: Re: The Winter Cat Beds, Wooley
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:01 am 

The FF family is doing great.

I thoght the original cat condos were enclosed plastic thingys...with a cut-out so cats get in. Looked "similar" to mini-igloos...only plastic not ice! Do the cats use them inside the garage? If I recall, aren't they somewhat raised up in the floor to protect from the cold?

Will the cats be warm with the above beds, even if in the garage? :?:

Have you considered a ceramic-type heater in the garage for freezing nights? :?:

Post subject: Re: The Winter Cat Beds, Wooley
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:18 am 

These things are insulated cat beds and washable. That cat condos are sturdy plastic with cat beds and insulation top and bottom to catch "cat heat". Cats from the same group that were born and raised together will "double" and "triple up" in cold weather in a good shelter to share warmth. I'm guessing we'll have them all in the garage for winter shelter along with comforters. Cats can do very well in cold weather if they're dry, catch good shelter, are out of the wind and are well fed. Unattended heaters are not something I would consider. Not one cat died last winter and with much better shelter this year they should be fine again, especially after TNR and vaccinations.