The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: First Tomato of 2010!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:18 am 

I plucked my first Beefsteak this morning and I figure my 5 tomato plants will yield more than a hundred more through October. A couple of days sitting on a shelf to go deep red and this baby goes into a salad or some BLTs. It's amazing what an old fart gets excited over - it used to be top-shelf booze and busty lusty babes, now it's alley cats and stuff coming out of the dirt.

And after reading Eggplant for Dummies I now understand that these things take a long time to grow and are a late harvest. The good news is that my eggplants are really going into a growth spurt now. That thing on the far left is an enormous cucumber plant that will climb and smother the eggplant. In another day or so I will stick a trellis there and make it grow vertically.

Post subject: Re: First Tomato of 2010!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:22 pm 

That one's early. Our vine ripes are not ready yet, far south of you, QP.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:59 pm 

Have about 10 green tomatoes on the vine, but probably about 10 days from picking anything.

I planted one eggplant last year because I was curious to see how well they did in NJ. You're right, these are late developers with fruit one the vines well into October, at least down here in NJ. I think I got about 15 eggplant off the one plant last year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:09 am 

The beast turned red within 24 hours. I don't let them go red on the vine. Sometimes they'll burst if you do. Pluck 'em orange with still a hint of green and you'll be OK if you let them sit at room temperature for a day or two or three. Into the fridge when red.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:31 pm 

If you are a man and pick some female tomatoes you have to go easy with your hands.

Most female tomatoes do not want to be rubbed and stroked on the way to the house without a proper introduction.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:45 am 

My corn was excellent this year and due to my greed I only gave one ear away. I ate one or two ears every night for over a week...I am sweet talking this one tomato to start turning, it's so fat..the plant came up in the compost pile and I transplanted it along with the 14 other plants I started from seed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:43 pm 

Will it's August 15th today and I just loaded up some bags of tomatoes and zucchini and distributed them to neighbors. The eggplants are producing and the bell peppers have finally started to show up. Nothings better than zuchinni, peppers, and onions done up in olive oil stir fry with a favorite meat - lamb, chicken, strips of steak, sausage, etc.

Sausage, peppers, onions and some zucchini makes a heluva sandwich on Italian bread.