The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Cat Play & Adoption
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:24 am 

We are one big happy family now but I cannot keep keep 5 cats. I have Momcat and maybe Trouble (iffy). Samyn has offered to adopt Shiloh and he's going to get her if the offer still stands. I will drive the kitty to Westchester if I have to.

That leaves at least two healthy kittens that need a good home (maybe 3). I took in a young feral pregnant street cat and I intend to have her spayed and give her a good loving home but I'm not going to feel so hot by bringing some kittens to the Nassau County animal shelter. They will be killed if not adopted in a hurry. I didn't knock up Mister Mittens - all I did was give her shelter when she was in a jam. She is truly a gentle lovely and loving creature. Her kittens are all happily using a litter box at 5 weeks and I just know that the Momcat is going to refuse the teats after another a week or so - the kittens are going to be weaned and Mister Mittens is going to get her clawed and sucked-out undercarriage back together. My wonderful border collie Susan used to nip at her pups when they became "of age" and wanted to nurse and I am most certain that Momcats do the same.

These kittens are worm-free, bug-free, and hale and healthy. They are clean, full of life and love the litter box. They have lived indoors from the moment they were born and get along with us humans.

I don't want to drop any of them off for a ticket to death. Hey, I can deliver on a weekend when I have access to the bride's car.

Somebody needs to help me out here - I have no problem snapping a .45 pistol round into the heads of people who wouldn't take Marine prisoners but I can't bear to drop off some kittens just to have them be killed within 10 days.

KPMats10- give me a yell, I will have money on Wednesday from SS to toss to a non-death rescue.

Post subject: Re: Cat Play & Adoption
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:43 pm 

I can keep Trouble to keep Mister Mittens company according to the bride but I still need to adopt out at least 2 wonderful healthy kittens. I will have both Trouble and Mister Mittens neutered and give them both a good home as housecats.

Samyn has offered to adopt a kitten and that leaves two.

I adopted a young feral prosticat and I'm giving her a lifetime home. I'm even willing to take in one of her kittens but I can't do the other three. I'm hoping that Shiloh is going to a good home with Samyn shortly.

The other two have to go. They are using the litter box and are healthy and are used to the "human touch".

The kittens are weaned - Mister Mittens will still lie down and offer milk to them but those moments don't happen very often now after 6 weeks and the kittens will jump into solid food.

The North Shore Animal League (no-kill) will no doubt take them but my understanding is that they will bleed me a lot of money to take the kittens in and I will not pay a lot of cash for being a good guy. I can dump them at the county shelter and they will be dead in 10 days if not adopted - I do not want to do that but I can't keep them all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:48 pm 

I caught Chaos in sleep here but I'm taking this lovely kitten to the shelter and probably to it's death within the next week if I cannot get it adopted.

I did not knock up Mister Mittens and I was not her owner who let her run wild - I snagged her pregnant carcass and gave her a home. Although I love these creatures I cannot have 5 cats in my home. I cannot care for all of them.

I need some help here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:39 am 

Did you make the call I told you about?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:41 am 

No, not yet.

Who the hell wants cats?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:33 am 

I have 3 cats and a dog.

Cats are not alot of trouble. You could keep Mom and 2 kittens w/o much problem.
Cats don't eat continuously like dogs...leave dry food out and they use litter.
If cats go outside, sometimes they do their business there as an alternative.

North Shore would like a "donation" to help with the costs of spaying animals they rehome.
They don't "kill" but kittens are easier to place than full grown cats.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:55 pm 

Larry, if you don't get a hold of the person I told you about, take comfort in the fact that if you need to resort to a shelter, the kittens go quick. Everyone wants a cute and cuddly little animal, it's the adults that usually don't get a second chance at life.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:09 am 

Are the kittens weened yet? I intend on adopting one of them but I figured they would be ready to say goodbye to mama at around 8 weeks. The internet websites say 12 weeks. My preference is for a male cat as I already have a female cat here and I need to balance out the genders. Can you take a look at their kitty equipment and tell me who is what?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:20 am 

You have one, Samyn, for sure. Shiloh is a girl.

I think Trouble is a male - every time I lift his tail I get clawed and bitten and yelled at.

Chaos is white and Mischief is dark and striped but I do not know their sex.

Hell, I'm Irish and married to an Irish girl for 37 years - nobody in my house knows a damned thing about sex.

Mister Mittens was still nursing her kittens today and they are exactly 6 weeks-old.

If you snag a kitten you are saving one and that's not bad. All four were climbing into the litter box after 4 weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:04 am 

I am going to give the kitten 2-3 more weeks with mama. The cat I have here was yanked away from mama too early and she has sucked on her own tail to soothe herself since she got here. She is over three years old now and has a serious oral vice.