The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Re: Breaking ground
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:46 pm 

1/4 Pole wrote:
I have a 30-year-old B&D electric drill that outperforms any screwgun ever made.

I'm no pro but today's carpenters wouldn't make a pimple on an old craftman's wrinkly saggy-ass butt.

Before I retired for good I worked for several years as a blue collar cable clown (voice & data) on construction sites in NYC (I climbed out of the cubicle in the early 70s and gave the finger to all paper pushers). The old grey-haired tin knockers, carpenters, and electricians took great pride in their work and made service on their work for years to come simple with their craftmanship. Today's young construction guys are wham-bam get 'er done types - "&*%$ the guy who's coming to work a problem here 25 years from now. My sh!t's in the wall now and I'm outta here!"

This is the American way now!!!!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:40 pm 

oldguy wrote:
1/4 Pole wrote:
I have a 30-year-old B&D electric drill that outperforms any screwgun ever made.

I'm no pro but today's carpenters wouldn't make a pimple on an old craftman's wrinkly saggy-ass butt.

Before I retired for good I worked for several years as a blue collar cable clown (voice & data) on construction sites in NYC (I climbed out of the cubicle in the early 70s and gave the finger to all paper pushers). The old grey-haired tin knockers, carpenters, and electricians took great pride in their work and made service on their work for years to come simple with their craftmanship. Today's young construction guys are wham-bam get 'er done types - "&*%$ the guy who's coming to work a problem here 25 years from now. My sh!t's in the wall now and I'm outta here!"

This is the American way now!!!!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Sad ,aint it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:57 pm 

oldguy wrote:
:lol: Starting over. Added some more pics 7/8/09

:) ;)

http://jeromebrown.zenfolio.com/p818139742/hb846c40#hb846c40

Your next visit there, please take a photo of the training track from the 2nd floor window and add it to your website. 8-) Seriously, very nice new home. Enjoy............John/Jack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:14 pm 

1/4 Pole wrote:

I have 2 Craftsman electric tools "pre-1972". A Jig Saw and a Hand Drill both all metal casing. These belonged to my deceased father-inlaw and given to me by my wonderful mother-inlaw. I never got to meet Andy as he died in a accident in 1972. I only met my wife in 1982. Although the tools still work today, at 37 plus years, I can't lift them for more than 30 seconds at a time for obvious reasons.

"As in any trade, its not the tools that make the tradesman, its the experience that makes the tradesman".

Last edited by Jack on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:23 pm 

I remember an old man in his 80s that lived next to our house in Hempstead on Booth Street in the early 1950s. He was my neighbor's grandfather and a 19th-century man. He had a '47 Plymouth convertible (yellow) and would invite me into the garage to see what he was doing. He fashioned wood with hand tools into wonderful pieces of furniture. He cut drawer joints by hand jigsaw and horse-glued them so nobody could see the bond or craftsmanship that went into the back end of a freaking drawer. Wood had to finished by hand with the sanding done by hand over time. Mr. Erwin said in his Irish brogue, "You can be dead but the work you do with your hands lives on, Lawrence. Most business papers from the 1800s and 1900s are tossed for nothing but a good thing made from an honest workman can live on."

That was 54 years ago and I was a little boy but I never forgot those words.