The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: More Vet Time For Mister Mittens
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:29 pm 

A stool sample proved that Mister Mittens had been exposed to roundworms and hookworms as a young slut roaming the backyards and streets of my neighborhood. The cure is no big deal for these small parasites and I'm happy to provide it for her. Dr. Wallach loves her gentle disposition and gave a shot of yellow goo down her throat this morning to murder the parasites. She gets a second treatment on October 23rd.

The only reason Mister Mittens landed here is because of 1/8 Pole. He was raised with two dogs but loves all animals. Last October Mister Mittens was in the driveway peeking into the basement window looking to see what was happening in the downstairs saloon - it was a day of racing and good cheer. John grabbed a can of Bumblebee tuna and went outside to feed the cat. She was feral but hungry. They got together and she learned the "human touch" barely out of kittenhood. John brought her inside for some hugs and a warm place to rest.

Anytime after that when my son was outside and the cat saw him she would jump for joy and come running to him. I don't know how she survived last winter but her worries are over now so long as my house stands.

Image John & Mister Mittens

Post subject: Re: More Vet Time For Mister Mittens
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:58 pm 

Aw...what nice pic!

She will be fine

Another good reason to keep the kittens inside. The'll never miss what they don't have :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: More Vet Time For Mister Mittens
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:50 pm 

Wooley, in a few weeks Trouble and Shiloh are going to see Dr. Wallach together for their checkups, shots and schedules for the neutering. The doctor runs a hospital for animals in my neighborhood and has been in practice for more than 30 years locally. He knows that we have to work out a schedule for Mister Mittens, Trouble, and Shiloh for neutering and basic cat care.

In the exam room Dr. Wallach takes much time in explaining what he is doing and why. He showed me the lab report on Mister Mittens' "tootsie roll" and explained to me that hookworms and roundworms have no desire to hurt their host. They are only eating what she eats in her intestines are not attacking any part of her. These things do not want to harm their host.

Happily, two inexpensive treatments kill the worms. My parents did similar stuff with puppies many years ago. First treatment this morning was a syringe of medecine down Mister Mittens' throat. She and I were out of there in 15 minutes. Mister Mittens tolerated the car ride in the cat carrier and the visit with the vet very well. She's had shots and an exam with Dr. Wallach before and when he brought her onto the exam table from the cat carrier she just stood there and stared at him. She knew that nobody there was going to hurt her.

Unlike her first trip to the doctor, when I placed Mister Mitten into the cat carrier her two kittens were in the living room and have never been outside the house beyond the day they were born next to my front stoop. They were upset when I took their mother out of the house.

When I brought Mister Mittens home a half hour later and let her out of the cat carrier Trouble and Shiloh went nuts with joy that their mother was home. They are 12 weeks old and into solid food like I'm into pancakes & sausage but the kittens were overjoyed that their mother was home. They jumped her with happiness and the Momcat reciprocated.