The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Incredible Cat Photo
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:14 pm 

Shiloh was still crapped out in my wife's bed. Mister Mittens had just awoken in a cat bed in the living room. And so did Trouble upon his comforter. He went over to his mother to nurse and she let him. That goddam kitten is going on 14 weeks of age and is almost the size of his mother. I ran upstairs to grab my camera but by the time I got downstairs with it Mister Mittens had moved to the kitchen to snack on some kibble.

And Trouble was right there with her on a nipple purring and working her gut with a paw to stimulate milk flow. Mister Mittens was OK with her son grabbing a teat.

I have read three fat "cat care" books cover-to-cover but I never caught the chapter with this action. Dr. Wallach told me that most Momcats "dry up" after two months or so and although they will be affectionate to their kittens they will not permit nursing and can go semi-violent to discourage it. He also told me that in rare cases a Momcat will continue to produce milk if food is scarce. Jesus H. Christ on a crutch! - these cats eat like Kings and Queens!

Post subject: Re: Incredible Cat Photo
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:25 pm 

I'm willing to let Nature take it's course and I understand that animals can do some things that us humans will never understand but I am bewildered here. I snapped this thing after the tough beat in today's 9th at Belmont. Mister Mittens is happily nursing her kittens although they are long beyond the time of being weaned and have been on solid food for more than two months.

And yet Trouble has his claws out in this photo and is kneading his mother's gut with rythmic action to stimulate milk flow. Mister Mittens is OK with everything that is happening.

My beloved Susan had pups here years ago and when Mom Nature told her thet her pups were "old enough" she would snarl and become nasty when the young ones would try for a nipple.

Cats are indeed strange creatures.

I'm a newbie with cats. Has anybody seen anything like this? Trouble and Shiloh were born July 7th and today is October 14th.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:44 pm 

Chaos tries to nurse on the dry Bremsler over here. Bremsler lets it happen every once in a while. However this has not happened in the last ten days. I believe Bremsler is putting her paw down and withdrawing access to her nipples.

Bremsler was weened from her mom too early. I believe this caused and oral fixation in Bremsler. She is 3 1/2 years old and still sucks her tail at least once a day mimicking nursing. When she does this she purrs like a content kitty. If Brems is doing this at 3 1/2 hypothetically this nursing can go on as long as mama stands for it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:56 pm 

What is the big surprise here?

Clearly, male cats have the same fixation as human males.
Trouble is a "typical guy" fixated on :mrgreen: teats!

1/4 Pole wrote:
Shiloh was still crapped out in my wife's bed. Mister Mittens had just awoken in a cat bed in the living room. And so did Trouble upon his comforter. He went over to his mother to nurse and she let him. That goddam kitten is going on 14 weeks of age and is almost the size of his mother. I ran upstairs to grab my camera but by the time I got downstairs with it Mister Mittens had moved to the kitchen to snack on some kibble.

And Trouble was right there with her on a nipple purring and working her gut with a paw to stimulate milk flow. Mister Mittens was OK with her son grabbing a teat.I have read three fat "cat care" books cover-to-cover but I never caught the chapter with this action. Dr. Wallach told me that most Momcats "dry up" after two months or so and although they will be affectionate to their kittens they will not permit nursing and can go semi-violent to discourage it. He also told me that in rare cases a Momcat will continue to produce milk if food is scarce. Jesus H. Christ on a crutch! - these cats eat like Kings and Queens!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:46 pm 

Wooley, you have read too many of my posts while I was searching for cleavage on TVG and HRTV.