The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Board Meeting From October 23rd
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:12 pm 

I got there as the second race went off as I was driving from Bayonne, New Jersey where I deposited my wife and her best friend to go off on a cruise to Bermuda with a bunch of cousins and co-workers. I cruised to Cuba with 6th Marines in 1966 to practice amphibious landings by Gitmo and across the Pacific in 1968 with 27th Marines and much prefer to be home now as an old fart. I don't even like to cruise to the shower anymore.

Anyway I get there to see the second race in the backyard and then I go to the rail by the eighth pole but can't find the Board Meeting. Out front it's dark and dank and it's only 1:30 in the afternoon. I buy a $40 voucher and run into Shammy and horselover and Shammy's daughter when I roll out to the backyard. And Samyn and Rocketman.

Anyway the Board Meeting went off in the backyard and even though there was no wind the place wasn't warm unless the sun peeked through. But with no wind you were OK with a few layers. Shammy and horselover did not stay with us and that's OK. I was just very happy to see these great gals.

I didn't take a lot of photos but a bunch of us had some fun.

I snapped this one while the 9th was going and there are a bunch of Board Members in it: the race got us through leg 3 of a P4 but the chalk had us screwed:

Diane is retiring after the meet. This girl went to Hempstead High School and graduated in 1953. I graduated that school in 1965. I know her and love her for decades. She used to slide 1/8 Pole cash when he was a teen and having a bad day at the track because of me. Diane always says, "Larry and I went to high school in different years together. He was a good Marine so I always let him have a quick kiss and a fast grope when the bar isn't crowded." I never touched that lady in my life but I will miss her.

1/8 Pole and Kelly were having a good tour in the backyard. She adores him and it'd be nice if they stay together. Jeez, I had eyes on his mother when she was 16 and married her when she was 18 going on 38 years ago.

Late in the day we see from left to right Rocketman, Q/P, Samyn, NYRA1, and 1/8 Pole.

We had fun and friendship and a live P4 ticket going into the last leg with 4 runners. We cranked it off with a zip to 5 single but the chalk ground us down in legs 2 and 3. Our best shot was the #11 in the last leg but he got beat late. CHORUS MUSIC was only coming back $400 until he got nailed and our ticket was a 1X5X5X4. Our Slow Bred OK numbers were going under. The chalk got us.

'Twas a great day and I was happy to hug and love some great players and wonderful people. Rocketman and I have promised each other to keep firing shots at one another on the board. He's retiring in a month and I'm happy for him. He was also carrying a spooker full of Irish whiskey so I was happy for me when he shared.

Post subject: Re: Board Meeting From October 23rd
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:36 pm 

:) Really nice set of photos.

It was a fun gathering. 1/8-Pole was in good spirits, too.

We didn't fleece the windows; in fact, not much luck for anyone, but the camaraderie made for a solid outing and will hopefully be repeated in the future......Cigar Mile Day at the Big A?

Can't tell you what confidence Samyn had in the heavily bet favorite in the first leg of the P4, while the rest of us sweated the investment on that lone single to begin the parlay. We needed that #11 in the finale to salvage the P4 combo, but the damned favorite came charging from last place. Crap!! Next time. There's always a next time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:10 am 

On top or underneath the chalk will bite you. Oh The chalk will smite you! - Ripped Tix Richard, 1978

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:27 pm 

Group picture is a keeper. Makes me smile.