The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Incredible Cat Nursing Photo
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:01 pm 

The son Trouble outweighs the mother. The daughter Shiloh ain't far behind. It is November 20th - the kittens were born on July 7th.

Off of a nap this afternoon, Mister Mittens came upstairs to the Castro in my TV room to visit her kids. They were happy to see their mother. As Mister Mittens sat with her kittens they both mewed with joy and then crawled over to her and grabbed a nipple. Mister Mittens just sat there very calmly while her son was working her gut (scope the photo) with his paw to stimulate milk flow. The Momcat nursed them.

Dr. Wallach has told me many times that Mom will not nurse after two months unless her motherly instincts are "out of this world" or that she is in a good place in the wild and food is short and no males are bugging her to breed again.

I got no clue but it's a fascinating thing to see. Jeez, that Momcat loves her kittens.

Post subject: Re: Incredible Cat Nursing Photo
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:28 pm 

You know what's crazy is that my wife caught Chaos nursing on the Brems yesterday. Brems is as dry as death valley. I guess it is just something that cats do. Seems like a disorder to me though; if the breast is dry the kitten shouldn't be sucking on it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:43 pm 

I just caught this photo. Shiloh is working Mom's belly with the right front paw. Mom is napping. Shiloh has milk on her lips.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:52 pm 

Poor chaos is working with a dry tap but he does get fed friskees at least three times a day. He and Brems do groom each other every morning.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:59 pm 

Samyn wrote:
You know what's crazy is that my wife caught Chaos nursing on the Brems yesterday. Brems is as dry as death valley. I guess it is just something that cats do. Seems like a disorder to me though; if the breast is dry the kitten shouldn't be sucking on it.

Is that what is wrong with me? I still try to sick on breasts when a lady will let me. I must have issues!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:02 pm 

Sucking on a beer works best at my age.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:16 pm 

Those last two nipples down low (out of six) were the two nipples that runt Shiloh could never get to. Those were the "milkers".

Chaos, Trouble, Mischief, and Shiloh always tried to get in there but little Shiloh always got shut out. Squeezed out - she didn't have the strength or size to outmuscle her siblings.

Sometimes Mister Mittens would nurse her kittens and then grab Shiloh by the neck and walk off with her. Mom would lie down and permit her runt to nurse as a solo while keeping an eye on the other three.

Damn, Momcats are something to see.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:26 pm 

That is one thing but I'm talking about action with the mom.
1/8-pole wrote:
Samyn wrote:

Is that what is wrong with me? I still try to sick on breasts when a lady will let me. I must have issues!