The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: I Need Some Fat Cat Help
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:35 pm 

The momcat Mister Mittens is spayed and OK with being a house cat most of the time but she's a pissoff nonetheless. And she's young (2 years old).

Here's the problem: Cats graze and we are happy to lay out meals three times a day for Mister Mittens and her son Trouble and her daughter Shiloh. Sometimes the long lean tomcat will sniff at lunch and waltz away with his tail in the air (this is pemium cat food). Little Sweet Babycakes might grab a bite and go away and come back later.

The Momcat Mister Mittens? She gobbles like a Mexican street whore who hasn't eaten in four days - the cat is getting fat. I understand that she was a street cat at a young age and that she was clever enough to survive beyond kittenhood and get knocked up as Mother Nature intended but I do not understand her gobbling as a house cat. We're starting to call her "Bubble Belly" and wonder why she still wants to get out of the house with her ovaries and uterus in a landfill somewhere - this is Mister Mittens tonight at the front door. The fat girl wants "out" to roll the streets:

She wants to crawl the streets again and maybe run into some of the other feral cats that are still around.

Her children are wonderful cats. The huge tomcat Trouble and his sister Sweet Babycakes (Shiloh) are nice creatures.

But the momcat is still wild in her brain. OK by me but I don't want her to keep blowing up like the Goodyear Blimp over Akron, Ohio.

Post subject: Re: I Need Some Fat Cat Help
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:10 am 

Mr. Mittens is substituting food for "freedom" outside to chase birds, mice and be a "cat".

Mr Mittens is happy to live indoors, but still wants to roam. Why not put the cat leash on Mr Mittens for a jaunt outside?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:00 pm 

Put out a little less food, she'll get used to it

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:55 am 

I say you throw her fat ass outside for a week.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:42 am 

Most humans eat three meals a day, I have never heard of cats being fed that often. No wonder she is fat, and the others turn up their noses up at times. Feed them once a day in the morning 1/2 a can each, and put out cat snacks at night. Let her roam, thats where she came from.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:40 am 

My experience with female cats leads me to believe when their innards are taken out, their hormones and metabolism are thrown out of whack. Every female cat I've ever owned, has gotten plump after spaying. The one I have now is getting quite large despite the fact she is an extremely playful and very active housecat. She is always running around. I leave the food out all day for them, they only eat dry food with the occassional wet food put out as a treat. They pick what they want when they want. If you're feeding three times a day, consider cutting down the portions and feeding twice a day instead of three.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:49 am 

They get a 5.5 oz. can of Friskies for all three to share in the morning. Same for lunch and dinner. The long lean tom and his sister will eat a bit and move on. Sometimes the tom will sniff at lunch and eat nothing - he is a true grazer who only eats what he needs. And he burns it up by running all over the house with his toys on the gallop when he's not crashed out. That's pound of food a day for three adult cats, not a lot by a longshot. Maybe I ought to not leave out the kibble 24/7 or let Mister Mittens keep going back to the feed dishes once her kids have eaten. Apparently she likes to eat everybody's leftovers on the sneak since I'm not guarding the feed dishes all day.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:25 pm 

Each cat eating an average of 1 can a day isn't overkill at all, it might be the snacking that is putting the pounds on Mr Mittens.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:37 pm 

BELMONTLOVER wrote:
Each cat eating an average of 1 can a day isn't overkill at all, it might be the snacking that is putting the pounds on Mr Mittens.

They need to stop putting the dry food out inbetween meals. She eats that crap all day

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:39 pm 

I did not lay out lunch today and no cats starved or went nuts.

The tomcat Trouble did come see me in the afternoon with rubs up against my leg and make "cat noises" I thought he might be hungry but I laid out no food and he went off for some more sleep. That huge gelded mummy is a joy to be near - when you pet him or rub him up he's in love and will often do the "drop and flop" so that he can get his belly and back rubbed at the same time by a human and yet you understand by his size and the rock-hard muscles throughout his body and the size of his fangs & claws that he might have been a successful street cat if only his balls were still there.

I'm just happy that Dr. Wallach took Trouble's sexuality out to a landfill and that the cat has a good shot to live a long time without being torn to pieces in street fights like I used to be when I was a tomcat.