The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Main Turf Course Is Back
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:12 pm 

Goodbye to the "inner" - the main turf course is back at Aqueduct after a 42-year absence. So long to mile-and-70 yard dirt races. Many top horsemen thought that the one-mile Aqueduct turf course was the finest in the land when I was galloping to the windows from the rail to play it during the '60s and '70s. It's nice to see it come back.

https://www.nyra.com/belmont/news/exten ... und-racing

Post subject: Re: Main Turf Course Is Back
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:06 pm 

nice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:32 am 

Had dinner with a trainer last evening and was shocked to learn the fate of Big Sandy while cheering the return of the best Turf course on the east coast (outside of Hialeah)...so the story is contingent on Rooney getting table games at Yonkers the scenario folds out this way:

Belmont is closing for two years after this meet. Over these next two years the powers that be will construct a scaled down clubhouse overlooking what is not the back end of the training track.This clubhouse will become an all weather facility and will in two years assuming Rooney wins the tables house harness in the evening and t breds during the day..The main parking lot is where the Islanders will soon skate...the Aqueduct facility will be the host of next year's Belmont if the games come to Yonkers and if not Belmont will open for the one weekend.

My instincts tell me Belmont is going bye bye piece by piece there will most definitely be a sport mega complex on the grounds in 2020.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:40 pm 

While I have no inside info, I would be happy to bet that trainer $100 we are back at Belmont in the Spring.

The rumors are too funny to even repeat. My favorite one was the certainty that we weren't even going back to Belmont after Saratoga this past Summer. Everyone, it seemed, was sure about that one.

See you at Belmont in the Spring.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:49 am 

i would hope so,seems far fetched that belmont would host trotters,the islanders and belmont should be able to coexist if they should move back to the island. Why is the grandstand closed on the 2nd and 3rd floors during the fall meet?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:56 am 

lukeydog wrote:
Had dinner with a trainer last evening and was shocked to learn the fate of Big Sandy while cheering the return of the best Turf course on the east coast (outside of Hialeah)...so the story is contingent on Rooney getting table games at Yonkers the scenario folds out this way:

Belmont is closing for two years after this meet. Over these next two years the powers that be will construct a scaled down clubhouse overlooking what is not the back end of the training track.This clubhouse will become an all weather facility and will in two years assuming Rooney wins the tables house harness in the evening and t breds during the day..The main parking lot is where the Islanders will soon skate...the Aqueduct facility will be the host of next year's Belmont if the games come to Yonkers and if not Belmont will open for the one weekend.

My instincts tell me Belmont is going bye bye piece by piece there will most definitely be a sport mega complex on the grounds in 2020.

does this mean the closing of belmont 1 and 1/2 oval for the training track ?,if it does i think youve been misinformed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:02 am 

My guy claimed it is contingent on Rooney and Yonkers getting table games..If this happens than the rest falls into play. A few years back there was talk about creating an all weather simo center at Belmont of course this was pushed to the back burner so the parking lots could be rented to car dealers...Back than there was also a fact the Islanders had a home in Uniondale and an opportunity to move to Brooklyn..This has now come full circle. The Islanders want Long Island. Nassau is not an option due to the elimination of capacity. According to my buddy the Islanders are coming to Belmont which makes a ton of sense.

I am not a fan of this plan in fact it sickens me so much I was actually thinking of going in the rain today...Might it all be fiction? Perhaps...but remember this...Rooney gets table games ALL BETS ARE OFF....State needs to put harness somewhere and if not Belmont where???

To think that such an option for the bastion of racing exists tells you all you need to know about the state of racing in the US.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:44 pm 

lukeydog wrote:
My guy claimed it is contingent on Rooney and Yonkers getting table games..If this happens than the rest falls into play. A few years back there was talk about creating an all weather simo center at Belmont of course this was pushed to the back burner so the parking lots could be rented to car dealers...Back than there was also a fact the Islanders had a home in Uniondale and an opportunity to move to Brooklyn..This has now come full circle. The Islanders want Long Island. Nassau is not an option due to the elimination of capacity. According to my buddy the Islanders are coming to Belmont which makes a ton of sense.

I am not a fan of this plan in fact it sickens me so much I was actually thinking of going in the rain today...Might it all be fiction? Perhaps...but remember this...Rooney gets table games ALL BETS ARE OFF....State needs to put harness somewhere and if not Belmont where???

To think that such an option for the bastion of racing exists tells you all you need to know about the state of racing in the US.

Islanders,as is, probably have a great shot at getting Belmont. The two other known proposals on the table are a soccer stadium, which already failed, and a retail complex, which doesn't meet what the state is looking for - year round entertainment and sports.

The winter track at the training track has been long rumored, but never has gone anywhere. Seems less likely now since they just sunk a bunch of money into Aqueduct fixing it up for winter racing/expanding turf season.

I'm sure NY state would love to close down the racing at AQU and move it all to Belmont. It will probably happen. Where I don't see how this works is why close Belmont for two years? Especially if there's no work to be done on the main facility. You can build the Isles arena in the main lot south of the grandstand, or even on the north end by the backstretch area. Neither will greatly affect parking, except maybe one day a year for Belmont day; or if they ever land another long overdue Breeders Cup at Belmont.

What about night racing at Belmont? That was just floated out by the board not too long ago. How long would installation of lights take? I can see the possibility of an extended closure for that, maybe move the fall meet to AQU while the lights go up at Belmont.

I still don't see anyone winterizing the grandstand for year round racing at Belmont, which should never happen in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:16 pm 

again CONTINGENT ON ROONEY AND YONKERS GETTING TABLE GAMES....Long Island is NOT letting go of the Islanders and Belmont is a done deal...I am simply telling you what the horsemen have been told...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:20 pm 

I HIGHLY doubt the horsemen have been told that.